Recognizing emergencies proves important skill

I cannot stress the importance of knowing when it is the right time to dial 911 and when it is the wrong time.
I remember listening to the radio in Memphis one day and hearing a story about a man who dialed 911 incorrectly. You see, his chicken had been stolen, and he believed it was appropriate to get the police, the fire department and everyone who was not supposed to be involved on the scene.
I laughed at this at the time. And then I realized many people might have been in actual danger at that moment but perhaps could not get through to the proper authorities because this man had decided to report the loss of one of his chickens.
Of course, when you think about it, this man lost a profit, perhaps even a valuable pet. However, when listening to his actual legitimate telephone recording to 911, this man talked for minutes on end, and, to put it nicely, was probably intoxicated. This situation would not be a circumstance in which it is appropriate to call 911.
Of course, there is such a thing as a suitable circumstance to get the emergency crew into action. For example, by some miracle, 7-year-old Justin Kastanis knew to call the line when his aunt was having a seizure.
After first dialing his mother with no answer returned, Justin dialed 911 and received a positive response. The dispatchers instructed him to stay on the phone until help could arrive. By calling, he saved his aunt’s life.
It would appear this little man just had a keen instinct to call safety. But things are not always what they seem.
Justin’s mom said she had been teaching him to attempt this brave action (when absolutely necessary) since he was three years old. Every time a new telephone or cell phone was brought into the mix, the family would make sure he knew how to use it in case of an emergency.
If the word emergency is the first thing that comes to mind in a situation, you need to act fast. There is never a more appropriate circumstance to call 911, if calling 911 even crosses your mind.
From what I understand, some people are often afraid to dial the number because they are not sure if symptoms they are experiencing are in need of immediate medical assistance. Calling your doctor might be a good place to start treating the symptoms, but we all know our doctors aren’t always available when we need them most.
My mother and father always have medical journals (symptoms and illnesses) present in our home so they can check and see if the signs are serious. If there is even the slightest doubt in their minds, they will not hesitate to dial.
There are also many websites that might be of some use, including some in which you are actually able to listen to legit 911 calls that may be similar to your own.
There are also websites that give you personal medical stories and what the emergency crew might be able to do to help.
Certain things, like seizures, are easy to figure out. Sometimes it may be obvious when the phone call to 911 is needed, but sometimes it may not always be apparent.
Even things like alcohol poisoning (passing out, vomiting, slow breathing and a comatose state) may be reason enough to dial that three digit number.
Ask yourself how serious is the situation? Can you do anything to help? Is it an emergency?
If there is any doubt at all in your mind regarding someone’s safety, perhaps calling 911 is in your best interest.
But if you have to ask, “Who stole one of my chickens?” you might have more problems than an ambulance can help you with.
Becca Horton is a freshman majoring in communication. She can be contacted at [email protected]