University named very high research institution

Mississippi State University celebrates its classification as a very high research institution in Maroon Research for Tier One Impact on Friday, April 15 from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Leo W. Seal M-Club Center.
David Shaw, vice president for Research & Economic Development, said the event is in recognition of the excellence at MSU.
“This is a celebratory event,” Shaw said. “This is a recognition of the achievements we have already accomplished.”
Shaw said he asked each college to put together a booth displaying its research. There will be a couple dozen booths at the event.
There will also be a formal with guest speakers MSU President Mark Keenum and deputy director of Mississippi development authority Whit Hughes. Refreshments will be served, Shaw said.
Keenum said students should come to the event to learn more about MSU’s research and how it leads to job growth.
“[Research] dollars that are generated [at MSU] have a huge impact in helping to attract investment and industry that create jobs for our students,” Keenum said.
Shaw said he is hoping students, faculty, staff, the Starkville community as well as elected officials from the state  will attend the event. 
By attending, guests can gain an appreciation of the education and research going on at the university, Shaw said.
“Students should come to hear about the Ph.D. programs offered, as well as some of the work that they may do in their field,” he said.
Shaw said students should come to recognize the value of their undergraduate degrees. They can also learn about the opportunities they have in graduate school.
Whit Hughes said he looks forward to sharing his perspective on the importance of research in Mississippi and how it contributes to economic development and job growth.