Streaming Now: What We Do in the Shadows

3D Bulldog
3D Bulldog

Service: Hulu
Show Title: “What We Do in the Shadows”
Hulu always appears to be one step behind Netflix when it relates to bingeworthy television series and overall content quality. The strung-out commercials do not help them plead their case either. If any student cannot relate to that last sentence because they have ad-free Hulu, then congrats for being quite the rarity. However, I am here to inform you that Hulu’s platform should not be completely overlooked as there are some undiscovered gems waiting to be found.
“What We Do in the Shadows” is an FX comedy about four vampire roommates and their human servant, Guillermo. The show introduces each character through reality show gimmicks as they make their way through New York City and explore the new generation that awaits them. I may have disinterested many with the concept of vampires, but this is no “Twilight” or “Vampire Diaries.” Personally, this show makes me feel like I am watching a crossover between “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” and “The Office,” but in this instance, they are all vampires.
The storyline explores the lives of Nandor, Lazlo, Nadja, Colin and Guillermo. Let me provide a rundown of the character plot lines to further pique your interest.
Nandor is a pompous, clueless character who identifies as a warrior from the Ottoman Empire and attempts to lead the roommates unsuccessfully. Nadja is a Greek Romani vampire who is always concerned with other men besides her partner Lazlo. Lazlo is a broody English nobleman who was turned into a vampire by Nadja and is condemned to a lifetime partnership with her. I cannot forget precious Guillermo who radiates major Russell from “Up” vibes and serves as a slave to Nandor in hopes of eventually becoming a vampire. The most entertaining of the clan is Colin as he is an energy vampire who feeds by annoying and boring humans and other vampires but has no actual power beyond making everyone fall asleep.
This “mockumentary” serves as a way to make fun of other vampire tropes but continues to provide enough entertainment to keep audiences involved in the storyline. Those who are tired of re-watching the same sit-coms are sure to find a new favorite comedy with “What We Do in the Shadows.”
Overall rating: 8/10

Payton Brown
Payton Brown, Former News Editor
Payton Brown served as the News Editor from 2022 to 2023.