“Parks and Recreation” wrecks “The Office” in the comedy department

Face Off Friday

The battle between the two most iconic American sitcoms has been extremely drawn out and reintroduced both time and time again. Netflix aficionados continuously rave over which cringe-inducing program is overall more well-rounded and contains the most comical storyline. However, this war can forever be laid to rest.
“Parks and Recreation” enthusiasts can be consoled in the fact the show they cherish so dearly contains a more humorous plot with characters that outshine any potential competitor.
The Amy Poehler centered show revolves around the town Pawnee and incorporates the irrational citizens of the town, while also allowing audiences to feel familiar with this Indianian gem. Pawnee allows the show to smoothly develop Leslie Knope’s political agenda and can amuse a crowd with its many unattractive quirks. Pawnee is more personal to a viewer compared to Scranton, Pennsylvania. Scranton is home to “The Office,” but it remains shrouded in mystery as the show progresses. No one can identify a distinct town identity nor can one identify any distinct geographic characteristics of the setting. “The Office” is simply less personable in this manner, and it keeps an audience from feeling invested in the ongoing story.
Both shows contain strong, charismatic main characters with ambitious goals for their workplace. Michael Scott, however, remains cocky and selfish, whereas Knope presents herself as career-oriented and thoughtful. Her many hand-crafted holidays and gifts show her kind nature, which outshines Michael’s annoying persona. Even statistics prove Knope’s superior position, for Poehler is paid $25,000 more than Steve Carrell for her role as the Parks Department director, according to Leigh Weingus with Huffington Post and Yorgos Askalidis with Medium.
Romance is an important part in a plot, and “Parks and Recreation” outdoes any possible kindling that its opponent has to offer. Between the Andy-April dynamic and the Leslie-Ben duo, the show exemplifies the most exciting and interesting aspects of love with its decision in couples. Andy and April consistently keep audiences on their feet, as they participate in over-the-top antics and profess their strange love for one another in odd ways.
“The Office” cannot compare to this unique, eclectic affair with the more mundane love story of Jim and Pam. Jim and Pam epitomize the most boring of couples and never surprise the viewer, despite their attempts at portraying a rocky relationship, with any of their choices or actions.
Grant Dearmitt with ScreenRant cannot help but agree. “Yes, there were still some ups and downs, but ultimately, the relationships in ’Parks and Rec.’ were a lot more straightforward.”
Along with softer elements, humor is a show’s greatest strength when executed in the proper way. “Parks and Recreation” perfectly finds this witty balance, and this balance allows the audience to see a smile on their face and comfort in their hearts. There is always a factor within each episode that makes a viewer seem at home and as though they are intimately related to the characters. While the show continuously tries, “The Office” will never compare to this dynamic, due to the ongoing dry, excessive humor the show produces and the lack of familiarity it instills. Only surface level humor is introduced into the plot, and there is never any feeling of catharsis in the events which occur.
The rivalry between the supreme hyper-masculine figure is an easily answerable question. Ron Swanson is a man of many manly talents and is wiser and more humble than that of the arrogant Dwight Schrute.
Ron Swanson holds many amusing quirks, such as his love for breakfast and wood, while Dwight only entertains readers with his weird family connection to beets. Dwight’s personality detracts from his likability because of his know-it-all persona and his careless attitude towards others. Dwight seems to only do things if they benefit him, while Ron constantly makes sacrifices for his loved ones.
Each character’s love interests also help determine the better character. Swanson entertains audiences with his ongoing affairs with the three Tammys, while Dwight continuously bores audiences with his ongoing, wishy-washy relationship with Angela. Romances in sitcoms are created to provide further entertainment in the ongoing plot and not to develop a dramatic, boring side story which distracts viewers from the main plot. Ron Swanson, by himself, makes “Parks and Recreation” 10 times better just from his endless wisdom and hilarious conflicts.
As written by Margaret Lyons with Slate, “While ‘The Office’ held much stronger ratings and a longer run, ‘Parks’ will close its seven seasons as the more successful show.”
Both shows will always provide a source of entertainment for my generation for many years to come, and they have made a significant impact on the very concept of humor for all of us. Even as both shows hold many honorable attributes and qualities, “Parks and Recreation” will always rank higher due to its well-rounded plot and warm, heartfelt quality.

Payton Brown
Payton Brown, Former News Editor
Payton Brown served as the News Editor from 2022 to 2023.