Students elect Mr., Miss MSU

Mississippi State University students recently elected Price Davis and Libbo Haskins as Mr. and Miss MSU for the 2010-11 school year.

Price Davis is a senior majoring in biochemistry with an emphasis in pre-med. He is from Jackson, Miss., and is the son of Mary and Chris Shapley and Russ Davis.
“Being selected as Mr. MSU is one of the most humbling experiences I have had,” Davis said.
He is the Student Association chief of staff, president for the MSU Alumni Delegates and a member of Kappa Sigma Fraternity.
Davis said he believes MSU has greatly influenced who he is as a person.
“This place has given and taught me so much that there is no way that I could ever repay what this university has done for me,” Davis said.
 He said he sees this position as a chance for him to reach a group of alumni, students and faculty, and let everyone know how MSU has impacted his life.
“Being Mr. MSU, I think, represents a passion for Mississippi State that so many students on this campus have,” Davis said.
Haskins said she feels greatly honored to be chosen as Miss MSU by her peers.
         “I am so excited and honored to represent MSU, and, honestly, I can’t imagine a more meaningful, humbling honor,” Haskins said.
         Haskins is a senior majoring in communication with an emphasis in public relations. She is from Madison, Miss., and is the daughter of Liz and the late Tommy Haskins. She is actively involved in the Student Association, in which she was the co-director of History and Traditions with Davis. This year she is serving as an executive assistant. Haskins is a member of the Chi Omega sorority in which she has served as a New Member Educator and Recruitment Chair. She was also a 2009 Orientation Leader and is currently an MSU Roadrunner. She is a Distinguished Scholar and a member of Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society.
         Haskins said her favorite part about MSU is she has always felt like she can be herself here. She said she feels at home when she is at MSU, even though it is also home to over 19,000 other people.
         “The fact that we call ourselves The People’s University is an understatement,” Haskins said.
         She said she is full of pride for her university and feels this pride in every moment on campus.            “This university is made up of moments. We all have those moments — that make us beam with pride that we chose to wear maroon and white,” Haskins said.
The election process for Mr. and Miss MSU has changed recently due to a bill that was passed by the Student Association Senate to make it a nomination and application process, Thomas Sellers, Student Association president, said.
Anyone, including students and faculty, can nominate any student to go in front of a selection committee to be interviewed.
The selection committee is presented with each candidate’s resume during the interview because the candidates’ involvement on campus is important in the decision.
From this interview, the committee narrows it down to three females and three males, and the final decision is left up to the entire student body, he said.
Sellers said this new election process makes the title more meaningful.
“The new process for selecting Mr. and Miss MSU adds to the honor and significance of these positions,” Sellers said. “The title of Mr. or Miss MSU is a tremendous honor. Those selected this year, along with those that have gone before them, exemplify what it means to be a student here at Mississippi State University.”
The system was also aimed at embracing the student body’s opinion even more by including students in the selection committee, Sellers said.