MSU encourages students to pursue prestigious awards

Megan Bean | Courtesy Photo

Bailey McDaniel was a Truman Scholarship finalist. The Truman Scholarship is considered the nation’s most prestigious scholarship.

Bailey McDaniel never imagined herself as a Truman scholarship finalist. 
As a first-generation college student, she makes strides to go above and beyond during her time at Mississippi State University. Her involvement and academic performance made McDaniel, a criminology major from Corinth, Mississippi, a prime candidate for the Truman scholarship. 
McDaniel credits the office of external and prestigious scholarships and its director, Tommy Anderson, as key advisors during her application process. Her positive experience is echoed by a number of other students who have worked with the scholarship office, including 2016 Rhodes finalist Holly Travis, a political science and criminology double major from Starkville, Mississippi.
The scholarship office, located on the second floor of Griffis Hall, helps students apply for a variety of grants, fellowships and scholarships. These include the Rhodes, Truman, Udall, Goldwater and Marshall scholarships. MSU is home to two Rhodes scholars, 18 Truman scholars and 16 Goldwater scholarship recipients. 
The scholarship office familiarizes and prepares undergraduates for the rigorous process of pursuing these awards. 
The Goldwater scholarship grants up to $7,500 per year to an upperclassman majoring in science, mathematics or engineering. 
The Truman gives $30,000 to a junior aiming to pursue a graduate degree and is committed to public service. 
The Rhodes and Marshall scholarships fund two years of study in Britain, while the George J. Mitchell scholarship fund two years of study in Ireland. The scholarship office seeks to ascertain students’ qualifications and position them on a path to achieving these awards.
The idea for the scholarship office began with Chris Snyder, dean of the Shackouls Honor College, who looked to improve upon scholarship awareness by providing a singular office to promote student achievement. Anderson, an MSU english professor, recruits students who are eager to compete for these national awards. 
“Mississippi State has some incredible, high-achieving intellectuals and researchers who deserve to compete at the national level,” Anderson said. “That has been my motivating force.” 
Anderson said there is a challenge in serving the entire student body from within the honors college. However, he said he wants students to understand the office of scholarships is not reserved to honors students and  is open to any undergraduate interested in applying for scholarships.
“This a full service office where you can tell me your hopes and dreams, and how I can get you there. I try to put these opportunities within a framework of the student’s already identified goals and ambitions,” Anderson said. “My job is to position these opportunities within the umbrella of achievement that you’ve already identified as your goal.” 
Anderson said he wants students to understand these applications will not divert them from their previous set plans, but will instead add to their professional experience. He said constructing a narrative of achievement is necessary to excel within the application process.
The scholarship office is best utilized to provide a roadmap for the application process, and Anderson serves as a mentor to provide guidance to applicants. The scholarship office will contact individuals for letters of recommendation, revise application responses and even conduct mock interviews for the student to partake in.
McDaniel’s path to being named a Truman finalist began with her work as a social activist on the MSU campus. Along with advocating for diversity on campus, she is currently serving as the president of the LGBTQ+ Union and recently received a 2016 outstanding woman award by the President Mark Keenum’s commission on the status of women.

McDaniel said she  urges students who are uncertain about applying to take the opportunity anyways. 
“The applications can be very extensive, but just do it anyway,” McDaniel said. “It’s fun, you learn more about yourself. You’ll understand, or have an idea, of what you’ll want to do with your life. It’s a good experience for your personal growth.”
Travis said she also encourages students to pursue these scholarships. Although she was not selected as a Rhodes recipient, she had the opportunity to gain insight into the application process which helped her grow academically and professionally. 
For students who are interested in applying for a prestigious scholarship, Travis suggests a timely start.
“I would advise anyone considering Rhodes or other prestigious scholarships to start early and carefully construct a compelling narrative,” Travis said.
Travis plans to follow a career in public defense and after graduation she will teach English in Cusco, Peru, for a year. She also intends to apply for law school in the fall. 
After attending graduate school, McDaniel aims to open a non-profit organization to assist male and gender non-conforming survivors of sexual assault. Eventually, she wants to come back to Mississippi and run for office, starting on the local level and rising to state office. 
As the 2017-2018 application process begins, Anderson encourages students to stop by his office located in Griffis Hall, room 206 to learn more about the opportunities available for MSU students. He can also be reached at [email protected]