GUNS ON CAMPUS

Universities across the state are re-evaluating their weapons policies after the recently-passed Mississippi concealed weapon law.
House Bill 506 went into effect July 1, 2011, four months after Haley Barbour’s official signature. The law allows for an individual with a special training endorsement on their permit to carry concealed firearms in places outlawed under the former regulations. Locations such as police departments, courtrooms and colleges that were previously off-limits are now legal places to carry concealed weapons with the proper permit.
An official opinion from Attorney General Jim Hood’s office states that while they do not necessarily agree with the result, the wording of the bill does allow for a person meeting qualifications to carry a pistol on a college campus.
“We believe that this exception is limited to those persons listed in 97-37-7 having official duties inherent in their position and does not apply to ‘enhanced permit holders,'” Hood wrote. “Nevertheless, the language of 97-37-7 itself creates the exception for enhanced permit holders.”

Thomas Bourgeois, Mississippi State University dean of students, said it is the school’s job to abide by the law while keeping students safe.
“We respect our legislature,” Bourgeois said.  “Our job is to enforce the laws and make sure we’re not infringing on people’s rights and maintaining safety.”
Although it is now legal to have concealed weapons on a university campus, Bourgeois said the law will not affect campus policy.
“It’s no longer a criminal offense, but our student code of conduct still prohibits students from carrying a weapon,” Bourgeois said.  “If you’re caught in violation of that, the penalty can range from probation to suspension.”
Other colleges in the state are handling the law differently.
Scott Wallace, the assistant dean of students at the University of Mississippi, said Ole Miss has altered its weapons policy in conjunction with the new law.
“The previous policy said ‘The University of Mississippi prohibits the possession of weapons on campus and at any University-sponsored events,'” Wallace said.  “We updated it this summer after the law was passed.”
The revised policy at Ole Miss reads, “The University of Mississippi prohibits the possession of weapons on campus and at any University-sponsored events unless such possession is authorized by law.”
Unlike MSU, the additional “unless such possession is authorized by law” portion allows for permit carriers to have weapons on campus not only legally but also authorized by university policy.
Jennifer Miles, vice president of student affairs at Mississippi University for Women, said the investigation of how their school will be influenced by the legislation is still in the works.
“We’re currently assessing the effect of the law on our policies,” she said.
Aside from university policies, legally carrying a weapon has a significant number of requirements.
To carry a weapon on any Mississippi school or university campus, an ordinary gun permit will not suffice.  The regular gun permit only qualifies someone to carry a weapon in the places mentioned under the old law.  To legally be able to carry a concealed weapon in the locations mentioned under the new law, the carrier has to follow certain steps.
According to the Mississippi Department of Public Safety, the potential gun carrier must fill out certain paperwork, have fingerprints taken, pay a fee of $132 and submit to a background investigation.  Once everything is cleared and he or she is not found to have a felony on record or has been declared mentally incompetent, the next step is a firearms safety course approved by the Board of Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Training.
Daniel Hayenga, a certified instructor of the NRA basic pistol course, teaches at the Starkville Gun Club.
Hayenga said it is a one-day course, and it lasts eight hours.
“The first half is a class discussion where we talk about understanding your responsibility, a little bit of the law and how to safely operate and clean the gun,” he said.  “The second half is application, where we practice shooting targets at the ranges typical for self-defense.”
Once someone has successfully mastered the course, he or she can bring the certificate to the highway patrol office. They will put a sticker on the back of his or her concealed carry permit, meaning the carrier is then certified to legally carry a concealed weapon on a college campus, as well as the other places mentioned in the updated law.
Hayenga said he tells his students to be careful with this new privilege.
“You’ve been given the capability to protect yourself, but that’s not the same as being a police officer,” he said.  “However, you do have the right to protect yourself and others in danger.”