Debates resemble sporting events

Other than breast cancer awareness, October is often referred to as the best time of the year for sports.  Let’s take a look at what we have:  professional football is hitting the grid iron hard, the BCS is keeping the steam rolling in college ball, the long awaited MLB post- season is in full swing, NASCAR racers are keeping their engines tuned and running for the sprint cup, World Cup soccer qualifying matches are being played, NBA training camp is tipping off and the NHL is just starting to scratch the ice. However, this year is a particularly special year for sports fans.
Just as the World Cup and the Olympics take place every four years, so has a new, exciting sport: the presidential debates. 
Yes, this is by far the most interesting event on TV right now (not to mention it carries the most weight as the winner will lead our country for the next four years).  Some may shy away from comparing this to a sport, but with the media holding the cards, it doesn’t take much imagination to see the connections.
Since the first televised debate between Kennedy and Nixon, it has been extremely apparent the public perception of a candidate is almost just as important as the platform for which he is running. 
Many would say appearance helped secure Kennedy the victory.  However, this year the line between two politicians debating the best way to lead our country has turned into nothing short of a slug fest.
The much anticipated Romney vs. Obama bout has been in talks all this year and has received more hype than a Bama and LSU match-up.  I am actually surprised we are able to watch the debates for free and not via pay-per-view.  Luckily we get to watch a best two out three (in true post-season baseball fashion) for the win of the popular vote for free. 
So here are the rules: the debate starts off with a coin toss just as any normal football game to decide who gets the first or, more importantly, the last word. The candidates then, as in any civil boxing match, “tap gloves” as a sign of respect for each other. 
Here is where I wish there was an ESPN sound crew with the half-domed microphones that pick talk on the football field in the audience; I would love to hear what Romney has to say to Obama when he shakes his hand with that smug smile. 
The debate is then moderated by a ref whom every spectator thinks does a God- awful job. 
The only addition I would make here would be for he or she to have the power to throw penalty flags: “Unsportsman-like conduct, Governor Romney.  Thirty second penalty, resume rebuttal.” 
By the way, I love how they have a shot clock and think they shouldn’t be penalized for going over.
When the debate ensues, it resembles a childhood game of HORSE. Each candidate gets to try a shot dictated by the moderator or an audience member in order to best the other; whenever a candidate missteps, he gets a letter and the first to spell DEBATE loses the match. 
At certain points in the debate you might actually think it will turn into a boxing match; the drama is real and I keeping thinking Obama is going to slap the smirk off of Romney’s face at some point. 
Once the debate ends, the candidates again shake hands with respect toward each other in similar fashion to football coaches, but we all know they hate each other’s guts at that point; just smile and wave. 
I am eagerly waiting the day Vegas releases odds and opens the floor for betting. 
How funny (or sad I guess) would it be to find out Romney is a 10 percent underdog with the popular vote going into the election? 
With the amount of analysts out there, I can’t imagine it would be hard for them to come up with an algorithm to give the public a spread just like a football game. 
I think taking Romney against the spread would be a tough bet right now.
Though I might have used a bit of imagination in these past comparisons, it is what goes on before and after the debates that brings a sport to mind the most. 
The candidates are the front runners of a party (that even have specific team colors) who are prepared by their campaign managers in much the same way a coach does for any team.  There is a great bit of strategy in the preparation of debates, and a failure to have tact can easily lose votes. 
What is more similar is how the pundits scrutinize every play just like sports analyst.  They have numbers and directions each candidate should take in order to make each run successful. 
Lastly, as in any game, strategy is key for victory.  In the first debate on Oct. 3, Romney came out swinging hard.  This left Obama on the ropes for most of the debate and hurt him throughout as he seemed unsure how to react toward Romney’s offense.  1-0 Romney. 
In the weeks leading up to this past Tuesday, Obama knew he had to stifle the skepticism of his oral success predicated by his use of a teleprompter and work on his offense in order to gain possession of the clock to avoid a sweep.  This is exactly what happened. 
A strong Obama executed a great debate as he held his ground to secure a close win and tie the series at 1-1.
This leaves our drama- filled society salivating as we cannot wait to see what happens when the two meet up for a final bout in Boca Raton on Oct. 22.
Now I know the debates are no laughing matter and hold serious implications. 
However, with all the ads and hype, it is hard to deny the influence the media has on an event like this. It is simply a reflection of our society. We may say we don’t like the superfluous drama but 67 million viewers don’t lie. That is nearly a quarter of our nation! 
However, with a little perspective we can have the best of both worlds. 
We can enjoy the fanfare and not let it skew our views by fact checking the candidates to make a truly informed decision. 
We don’t have to let this ruin the experience for us because the drama is real.