New Start for a New Year: An Inside Look

Many people associate New Year’s resolutions as something that is said but never done. It is no surprise that setting a goal on New Year’s Day has become overrated to most people, as these standards are very seldom followed through. In most cases, however, New Year’s resolutions could make a difference to people if they stick to their goals. Most resolutions are possible, but not right away. Many people begin to doubt their ambitions within the first month of the year, and abandon their goals altogether. The best way to accomplish any goal is be realistic and break it down. There is the whole year, after all. 

First things first: pick a goal that is measurable. Two of the most common New Year’s resolutions are to lose weight or save money. This is the right track, as they can both be recorded and measured in many ways. A goal does not always have to be measured in numbers. More spiritual goals can be recorded in a journal and reflected on later. It is up to the person. Measurability enables an individual to see results and feel more productive. 

Many people miss the most important concept: be practical in setting goals and expectations. Set a smart goal that is controllable. If someone is naturally a “C” student, it is unrealistic for that person to expect a 4.0 grade point average by the end of the year. They can, however, expect a “B” average. If they want to continue that resolution the following year, it is very likely they will come close to a 4.0. Weight loss also does not occur at rate of 15 pounds per week, so it is important to realize that results take time and effort.

The next important concept is to choose a method and break it down. A common method to achieve the goal of saving money is to keep a “money jar” or something that would is easily available to put small amounts of money in each week. Start taking $5.00 usually spent on an extra soda or candy bar and put it in the jar for the week. Label the jar “New Car,” or whatever the money is for. It may not be possible to get a new car that year, but it’s one step closer than normal. 

Lastly, take time to notice results and figure out a suitable reward for it. A favorite dessert for every week all workout routines are completed, maybe. It doesn’t matter. As long as you strive for your goal, you are on the road to keeping that New Year’s resolution. Author Zig Ziglar once said, “A goal properly set is halfway reached.” This statement contains the secret to following through with any New Year’s resolution: if you set a realistic goal and look for reasonable ways to accomplish it, it is already halfway done. You just have to take it from there.