Hot Take: Seat saving is out of control

Gabriella Sutherland | The Reflector

Seats that look empty have the nasty habit of being saved.

We need to talk about the elephant in the student section: seat-saving in Davis Wade Stadium is out of control.
Allow me to set the scene. It was Sept. 9, 2023. The Mississippi State University Bulldogs took on the University of Arizona Wildcats in a 6:30 p.m. kickoff. The Dawgs had home field advantage. The sun was shining. The Junction grills were firing. 
It seemed like the perfect evening for college football — “seemed” being the operative word here, for the mirage of a great experience faded upon entering the student section.
For clarification, I am always in the student section at least 70 minutes prior to kickoff. I know where I like to sit, and I know that I like to have breathing room, so I go early. This particular occasion was no different. A friend and I headed into Davis Wade early to grab seats so our two friends still in the Junction did not have to worry. We tried our preferred section from the last two years but were very kindly informed that a fraternity had claimed that section. 
“You are more than welcome to sit here, of course. I just wanted to let y’all know.” Why, thank you, kind unnamed frat brother, for your consideration. My friend and I looked at each other and decided we actually did not want to sit there due to the angle the sun was setting at. We thanked our informant and went on our way.
This is where the story takes a turn, as we ventured into the upper part of the student section. We found fully empty rows, with no students seated either three rows above or below. Yet, the moment we sat down, we were approached by our khaki-wearing foes. 
“Hey guys, how’s it going? So, this section is actually reserved for [insert fraternity of choice here], so you guys are gonna have to move.” This experience was repeated thrice as my friend and I were forced into the sun-baked nosebleeds.
I am not an unreasonable woman. If you would like to sit with a group, be my guest. In fact, I saved seats for my two friends to join. However, I arrived at the stadium early enough and had a small enough group to feel justified in doing so. For the love of all that is good in the world, stop sending pledges to reserve space for 60.

Haylee Morman
Haylee Morman, Staff Writer
Haylee Morman is a senior English major. Haylee is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.