Streaming Now: Euphoria

Courtesy Photo | Television Promos
Streaming Now: Euphoria

Service: HBO Max
Show Title: “Euphoria”
Tune in every week for a new review for what is trending on your services.
Typical depictions of high school students in the media are often overused and underwhelming. Overdose, abortion and blackmail would have little place in the traditional narrative, but these shocking themes are exactly what “Euphoria” chooses to focus on. In this graphic television show, the usual jocks, mean girls and wallflowers are involved in much more than petty bullying and immature drama. “Euphoria” immerses viewers into a world where teenagers deal with intense issues of abuse and conflict far beyond what is expected of their age group. While in many ways it is overly crass and highly controversial, “Euphoria” depicts an uglier, more disturbing side of the common coming-of-age story in a way which has never been done before.
The goal of the show is to highlight more realistic and darker aspects of life as a teenager. In doing so, the leading characters actively engage with substance abuse, physical or emotional violence, criminal activity and toxic romance. For a show dealing with such unsettling content, it masks and covers this darkness in a glittery facade. The clothes, personas and parties attended by the central cast contribute to an aesthetic glorifying their lifestyles and presenting it as something beautiful. This appeal only loosely clouds the distress beneath. Their lives might look enviable in the dim flashing lights of a house party, but in fluorescent light those emotional realities are quite the opposite. They are all uniquely broken and deeply miserable people.
“Euphoria” does not depict a desirable lifestyle or create a hyper-real look into growing up. Rather, most of the themes employed are more for shock value than for enlightening the audience. Its crude depictions of teenagers are controversial and distasteful. Regardless of its motives or execution, the show does present a dramatized look into common taboo issues often unaddressed both in real life and the media. The themes it portrays are too grave to be glamorized in good conscience. Even so, “Euphoria” successfully crafts an entertaining and engaging story, and, in many ways, the show is like the substances it depicts. No matter how wrong it is, “Euphoria” is undeniably addicting and keeps the viewer coming back for more.