Broken hearts club or not, what are the best Valentine’s chocolates on the market?

Adam Sullivan | The Reflector

Joshua Stewart picks out his favorite chocolate with a strawberry creme filling from a Russell Stover box.

It is hard to imagine Valentine’s Day without seeing the decorated chocolate heart boxes scattered across grocery stores and social media. Chocolate has become an emblem of love, and it certainly makes you feel it too.
Madi Johnson of Business Insider explains the indulgence of chocolate causes a release of dopamine within certain areas of the brain, which explains why we associate it with the same warm, fuzzy feelings of Valentine’s Day. Chocolate is the old friend who soothes heartaches and signals fondness. According to the National Confectioners Association, 86% of Americans planned to purchase chocolate for Valentine’s Day in 2021. The majority of Americans seem to find chocolate a reliable means of communicating emotion to others.
Chocolate has brought joy to its consumers since as early as the Mesoamerican civilizations, however, according to Amy Henderson of Smithsonian Magazine it was not until 1861 when heart-shaped confectioneries began. Richard Cadbury, a British chocolatier, first produced the assorted chocolates with excess pure cocoa butter produced in his family’s chocolate factories. As a result of his creation, chocolates and hearts will always be united around February each year.
Walmart, CVS, Walgreens and Dollar General are recognized as go-to suppliers when searching for affordable chocolates for a loved one, or yourself. However, the variety of chocolate found on Valentine’s Day in these stores makes the task of picking an option difficult. When choosing assorted chocolates on a budget, the goal is to simultaneously balance quality, to properly impress the recipient, and cost, so not to break the bank.
The least ideal options at these locations would be Elmer and Whitman’s chocolates which hold allure due to their 1-3$ price and the colorful graphics they display. These candies hold a waxy and artificial taste to them which makes them less desirable and disappointing. The quirky box designs of dinosaurs and cheesy puns may be cute, but do not expect the chocolates to taste better than their worth.
Two options which bring satisfaction at the fair price of $10 are the Lindt’s Lindor Truffles and Hershey’s Pot of Gold chocolate hearts. The Lindor Truffles are some of the smoothest and silkiest low-cost chocolates certain to appease anyone. The Hershey’s Pot of Gold chocolates gives the classic variety of chocolates in each box while satisfying cravings with its sugary taste and caramel surprise. An honorable mention must also go to Ghirardelli’s Duet Hearts as they are delectable, and the chocolate itself is in a heart shape. This recommendation goes out to those who prefer a lot of caramel and extremely rich chocolate.
For those looking to slightly surpass the college student budget, anything of the Godiva brand is a pristine choice with its sweet, roasted and luxurious taste. You can never go wrong with this brand when intending to impress. Sadly, this brand’s hearts will fall between the price ranges of $20 to $50.
Use chocolate as a way to extend love, friendship and stress-relief in February and take advantage of the heart-shaped boxes on shelves this time of year. Regardless of which chocolates you prefer or intend to buy, the sentiment shall be “wholeheartedly” received.

Payton Brown
Payton Brown, Former News Editor
Payton Brown served as the News Editor from 2022 to 2023.