Sexual assault numbers rise on college campuses

When shown statistics of sexual assault on college campuses, President Barack Obama spoke these words:
“The prevalence of rape and sexual assault at our Nation’s institutions of higher education is both deeply troubling and a call to action.”
Cases of both domestic violence and sexual assault are prevalent on many college campuses in the U.S.
According to an analysis conducted by The Washington Post in 2010, 55 percent of about 1,570 colleges with 1,000 or more students reported at least one report of sexual assault.
    That number has continued to rise with more than 3,900 reports in 2012, a huge increase in just three years
    Yvette Harris, counselor in the Mississippi State University Department of Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence, said sexual assault victims are often times afraid of being stigmatized.
“There are stigmas and stereotypes associated with domestic violence and sexual assault,” Harris said. “Many may view victims as being a bad person, someone who makes poor decisions or someone who was ‘asking for it.’”
Many students may not recognize sexual assault or domestic violence as it occurs. Knowing what sexual assault is may help students in reporting incidents.
    “Sexual assault includes any sexual physical contact with another person without that person’s consent,” Harris said.
  Victims of sexual assault are more likely to be women according to national data that found 1 in 4 women are victims of attempted or completed rape while in college.
Men can also be victims of sexual assault, even though it is less likely. 
 “One in seven men are also victims of attempted or completed assault on college campuses,” Harris said.
Revolutions surrounding sexual assault have been popping up everywhere, even at Ivy League institutions like Columbia.
 Emma Sulkowicz, a 21-year-old alleged rape victim, has been tugging around a mattress at Columbia University as a creative protest against sexual assault.
In 2014, the student reported she had been raped, and when the University ruled in favor of her assailant, Sulkowicz took a stand.
Mississippi State University has an established board to insure all cases are handled honestly and with care.
“In 1994, Mississippi State University established the sexual assault response and prevention policy,  which is still in existence,” Harris said.
“The Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) was established to aid in response and prevention efforts,” she said.
Assistant Director of Health Education and Wellness and Sexual Assault, Leah Pylate, said when it comes to sexual assault, things are changing. 
“Society as a whole is currently changing the way we view domestic violence, and people are speaking out about the topic because it is one of importance,” Pylate said.
According to the 2014 Annual Security Report, Mississippi State University reported four sexual assault incidents. 
Students who have been victims of sexual assault can turn to campus resources for help. 
“The Student Health Center, Student Counseling Services, Dean of Students’ Office, Oktibbeha County Hospital, Safe Haven Inc., University Police and the other Police Departments in Starkville are all options for a student,” Pylate said.