Otteson cancels visit, rescheduling possible in future

Award-winning economics researcher and writer James R. Otteson has had to cancel his visit to MSU that was rescheduled for Nov. 6 in the Taylor Auditorium in McCool Hall.
Otteson had intended to give a lecture for MSU’s Institute for the Humanity’s 2014-15 Distinguished Lecturer series, but according to William Hay, the institute’s director, was unfortunately unable to make the trip. 
“We hope to reschedule for a future date,” Hay said. 
Otteson is executive director of Wake Forest University’s BB&T Center for the Study of Capitalism and is a teaching professor of political economy.
He published a book, “Actual Ethics” in 2006, and in 2007 it was selected for the Templeton Enterprise Award, which recognizes the best publications written on the culture of enterprise.  
“Dr. Otteson is an award-winning philosopher whose interests cross disciplinary boundaries and bring scholarship to bear on important debates beyond the academy,” Hay said in a press release by the Office of Public Affairs. 
“Presenting a perspective drawn from the 18th century work of Adam Smith and others of the Enlightenment period helps students engage important debates that resonate today.”
Otteson was to be one of many notable guests brought to MSU for the Distinguished Lecturer series.
The series was established in 2005 and has brought numerous influential speakers to State’s campus.
“The series has featured leading scholars, writers and creative artists recognized as among the best in their fields,” Hay said. “It highlights the importance of the humanities and the contribution that the College of Arts and Sciences makes to Mississippi State and beyond.”
The lectures are open to all who wish to attend. General information on the Institute and its programs can be found at www.ih.msstate.edu.
“We have other programs planned for next semester, including a writer-in-residence during February,” Hay said.