Out-of-state students bring diversity to MSU’s campus

According to Google Maps, my house is 54.5 miles away from Starkville. I was born and raised in Amory, Miss., and it is what I like to call “Mississippi’s Best Kept Secret.” I live and breathe all things Mississippi, and I always will. When I arrived at Mississippi State University, I never imagined I would consider and appreciate the value that out-of-state students bring to our university. According to CollegePortaits.org, 76 percent of all MSU students call Mississippi home. Since MSU is mostly made up of in-state students, I feel as if the utility of out-of-state variety is often forgotten.
    These students bring a range of benefits to the university. First, the diversified thought that inherently comes with people from different regions infuses new ideas and concepts to which many longtime Mississippians have not been exposed to. These new ideas and concepts allow everyone to step out of his or her comfort zone and consider different opinions that will help mold his or her own convictions and beliefs about the world. We should develop an appreciation for ideas that originate beyond a 60-mile radius. This is a vital piece of the puzzle when we hammer out our very personal persuasions, not just the ideals our parents passed down to us.
   When these out-of-state students arrive on campus, not only do they introduce new ways to view a situation, but it is also an opportunity for those proud of Mississippi show it off as something we hold dear. It is so exciting to meet a student from Florida, Georgia or Kentucky who had nothing more than a campus visit and an acceptance letter that convinced him or her to give Mississippi a try. In my experience, I find this is rarely a decision that finds much regret.
   When out-of-state students return home after their time in Mississippi, it is a chance for deeply personal connections to the Magnolia state and MSU to go abroad. The legitimacy of our institution is undoubtedly strengthened when our stories of warmth and success cross over state borders. When these successful alumni throughout the country rise through the ranks in their respective fields, they do their part to expand the infrastructure of power and influence of our university.
 Fortunately, under the leadership of former Student Association President Michael Hogan, the SA recognized an area to attract and cater to out-of-state students. Beginning this summer, out-of-state students may apply for a scholarship that will go toward relieving some of the burden of the higher cost of tuition of summer courses. According to Hogan, “The SA is looking to help these non-resident students financially by offering a scholarship to decrease the burden of out-of-state tuition during the summer terms.  Many students look forward to the opportunity to stay in Starkville for the summer, and the SA is proud to assist these students with their educational pursuits.”
    I applaud Hogan and his administration for their efforts.
   If you have a prospective student in your extended family or friend network in another state, give him or her a call, and tell him or her to consider MSU. If you’re able to get him or her on campus for a visit, I feel confident in our Roadrunner student recruiting organization and the Office of Admissions and Scholarships to convince him or her that we can offer a college experience like none other. Not only will he or she benefit, but MSU will certainly be better for it as well.