Feminism: Demystifying the F-word

In honor of Women’s History Month, I would like to say, bear with me. Bear with me as I attempt to dissect a societal taboo that has existed since the 1870s and has outlasted the passing of the 19th Amendment, the Civil Rights Movement and the human rights debates of the 21st century. I ask you not to flip to the crossword puzzle, but to hear me out as I say to you: I am a feminist, and I think you should be, too.
   When I say (type) the word “feminism,” what comes to mind? For many, this term may summon images of piles of ladies’ undergarments being set ablaze, flocks of aggressive women wearing Indigo Girls T-shirts or a clubhouse full of angry females plotting the demise of the patriarchy. If this is your take on the word, you are not alone. Many people, both men and women, lump feminists into a category of extremists with the intent of belittling the male gender. Indeed, in some cases, that may be true because feminism, just like any other ideology (religious, political, etc.), has the capacity to be taken to a dangerous extreme, but extremist views should not cause fear or rejection of the positive benefits an ideology may have to offer.
   I believe the harsh interpretation of the word “feminist” is due to a misunderstanding of vocabulary. We crazy humans are always flipping, changing and generalizing the meaning of words. I feel feminism is a victim of this literary crime, but the solution is simple. The first step in correcting the meaning of the term feminist lies in a proper and basic defining of the word.
   The official dictionary definition of a feminist is “an advocate for the equal rights of women and men.”  Famed activist Gloria Steinem explains, “A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men.” Award winning Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie defines a feminist as “a person who believes in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes.” You’ll notice the common thread between these three definitions is the use of the root word “equal.” You’ll also notice none of these definitions are gender exclusive, meaning that men and women alike can be identified as a feminist. Many people claim the goal of feminism is the promotion of women, by women, with the hopes of exceeding men. This could not be further from the truth. The basis of feminism is and has always been equality. This was true during the women’s suffrage movement when American citizens took to the streets to fight for a woman’s right to vote, and it remains true today. In short, if you believe a woman can be as intelligent, work as hard and accomplish as much as a man, and you also believe she should have the right to do so, you qualify as a feminist, whether you intended to or not.
   Another misconception regarding feminism is the idea that in order to be a feminist, you must fully support any and all agendas labeled as “feminist.” Because of controversial subjects like birth control and abortion, some individuals feel that if you identify as a feminist, you cannot also identify with political parties or religions that oppose these agendas. This, as well, is untrue. Being a feminist does not mean you must agree with every feminist-labeled opinion, just like identifying as a Republican does not mean you have to agree with every Republican opinion on military spending, just like identifying as a Democrat does not mean you have to agree with every Democratic opinion on taxes on the upper class and just like identifying as a Christian does not mean you cannot disagree on the theologies and apologetics of other denominations. The opinions of feminists on specific agendas differ greatly, and they should, because they are not the primary focus — the ultimate goal is simply equality and respect.
   I am fully aware that my own interpretation of feminism will not line up perfectly with the views of others, and that is okay. Disagreement on the topic is inevitable, but the creation of a dialogue on the subject is the most efficient means to correcting my own views, as well as the views of others.