Gossip is merely one of the facts of life

In discussion with a group of female counterparts, I decided to focus more heavily on the topics discussed.
  As I picked apart the conversation in my mind, I was pleased to conclude that the comments, although fragmented by cut-offs and individual “a-ha moments,” were not toxic ones. However, the information had not been confirmed as truth by the person being discussed. I then asked myself, “Is this ethical? Is this gossip?”
   I was eager to divulge deeper into what gossip actually was. It didn’t take long (and by long, I mean a few seconds) to establish that all the things I had ever heard about gossip were, in fact, gossip. I was always told gossip was a trait of the unfulfilled and spiteful human being. A gossiper was viewed as a human being who only wanted to bring demise to lives of others through words. I decided to go beyond what I had heard of gossip.
    I pulled out my Samsung Tab. My nails made keyboard music as I typed into the Google search engine, “define gossip.” The results of my search produced this definition: “the casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true.” By definition, the majority of our discourse was in fact classified as gossip. I read through the definition twice. The first time I looked through the eyes of Wendy Williams and immediately the coffee mug filled with “gossip juice” came to mind. The stories of Brad Pitt’s divorce from Jennifer Aniston or Miley’s suggestive dance moves seemed to speak to the derogatory thought on gossip.
    Gossip is seen as viral and vicious, and the people who participate in it are seen as malicious and manipulative. I am hard pressed to argue, however, that by definition gossip isn’t what it’s derogatory stigma implies. If by definition, gossip is only “casual conversations which contain unconfirmed details,” then we gossip about joyful experiences by nature. Family gatherings buzz with rumors of potential engagements or a pregnancy, and gamers speak about unconfirmed release dates.     
     Gossip, as with many other things in life, is about the intention more so than the act. This concept shouldn’t be hard to grasp considering the intention of an action is usually determined before the action takes place. I conclude from that the act of gossip doesn’t stand alone but alongside our character. Is this unconfirmed talk positive promotion of a person or a person’s demise? Talk about a rumored engagement possesses different intent than talk about a rumored divorce.  
    As I sat in my interpersonal communication class, we discussed a chapter on deception. Our professor asked who all in class had participated in any form of deception, i.e. lying and gossip. Out of 16 students, one reluctant hand emerged. Could this be factual? I mean, after all, the media thrives on this concept of verisimilitude. This is the idea that the things portrayed in the media are what we as a society value.
     As I walked from McCool to McComas with Emily Ryalls, assistant professor of communication, she revealed to me that gossip also deals with issues of gender. “Gossip Girl’s” surprise twist which revealed gossip girl was in fact a gossip guy, suggests that ladies aren’t alone. When questioning if gossip is hurtful or healthy, I maintain that it’s natural. The precaution is just to refrain from the engagement in talk that could potentially hurt a person’s feelings or reputation. After all, talk is a part of human nature, but hurtful talk doesn’t have to be.