Student magazine Streetcar premieres at MSU this spring

This spring, Mississippi State University welcomes a new student-run creative art journal to campus. The Streetcar offers students the opportunity to publish their artwork and prose.
Hannah Humphrey, senior English major and The Streetcar’s editor in chief, said the publication is currently accepting all forms of creative expression.
“We accept basically anything that’s creative: poetry, short stories, essays, open letters, art work, graphic design, sculptors – if you can take a picture, send it to us,” Humphrey said.
Ann Elizabeth Allison, senior English major and general staff member, said all creativity is welcomed and encouraged.
“We’re looking for anything that is creative. If it took creativity to do then it should be submitted for consideration,” she said. “A lot of people are thinking about multimedia; someone submitted a rap they had done, and then there is someone who is going to submit a video they had done, and while we can’t publish that in a print book, we can put it on the Internet.”
The Streetcar provides a creative outlet for non-English and non-art majors.
“It’s really great for those such as engineering majors who have a talent for creative writing or anybody who has a secret creative streak, and can’t express it in their major,” Allison said.
Allison also said The Streetcar currently has numerous submissions to choose from, but they are always looking for additional work to ensure they are publishing the best MSU students have to offer.
              Additionally, Humphrey said The Streetcar presents students with the opportunity to be published pre-graduation.
              “The benefits are that you get published in college, which is kind of a big deal,” she said. “I know as an English major, a lot of people do want to be published.”
Allison said she wants to assure students that The Streetcar staff aims to produce a professional publication based on integrity.
“It’s going to be a nice, bound book, and if you’re worried about the integrity of the publication, it’s going to be good and it’s going to be professional,” she said.
Students interested in submitting art can also take part in the publication’s cover design competition.
“We know that we’re having a cover competition for anybody that does any kind of art. We’re extremely interested in trying to get that underway, because we are going to unveil the cover, I think, March 23,” Humphrey said.
She also said cash prizes are offered to the student chosen for the cover design, and for the student with the best written submission.
Humphrey said graphic design majors are also encouraged to submit for the publication’s other numerous needs.
“We are trying to find one graphic designer to do our journal for this year. It’s a big honor to be able to do the entire journal for us. If there is someone who is interested in doing our graphic design, we’d be really interested in seeing their portfolio,” she said.
Allison said in addition, art majors are also encouraged to apply for staff positions to help consult on the art aspect of the journal.
“It would be really nice to get some extra help on the art end of it. It’s really nice to have someone with an experienced eye,” she said. “So if there are any art majors out there who would want to help, they’d probably be welcomed.”
The Streetcarstaff plans for the journal to be available to students this May, and into next semester.
The submission process is completely online, making it easily accessible to students.
Students who want to submit their work can find the submission form online at www.thestreetcarmsu.wordpress.com.
Humphrey said students interested in submitting artwork need to fill out the online submission form and email their submissions to The Streetcarstaff.
The deadline for submission is March 15.