Alumni Delegates offer free food and prizes at Super Bowl party for students

The Alumni Delegates will offer students an alternative place to watch the Super Bowl game Sunday night.
    In the delegates’ first-ever Super Bowl Party, attendees will be offered food, prizes and three oversized screens to watch the game on Sunday evening. Doors will open for the event at the Hunter Henry Center Ballroom at 4:30, with kickoff expected to begin at 5:30.
    Little Dooey’s, Bulldog Deli and the State Fountain Bakery will provide free food during the game.
    During the time-outs, the delegates will give away gift certificates to Old Venice, The Grill, Campus Bookmart and other local shops and restaurants.
    Delegate Frank Haynes said the major purpose of the event is to get the word out about the alumni association and encourage students to become more involved on campus.
    “We want students to know that once they leave Mississippi State, they still have a home here,” Haynes said.
    Raffles will also be held throughout the game, including: 1-year memberships to the Bulldog Club to be given away after each quarter, a DVD player to be given away at half-time, and a television to be raffled after the game.
    Tickets for the prizes will be $1 for each game quarter and $3 for each half, with all proceeds going to United Way. Participation in the raffles, however, is not required.
    Delegate Wes Gordon said student-led fund-raising campaigns held earlier in the year for the United Way came up about $700 short. He said the raffles are a way to raise those needed funds.
    The idea for the event came to Gordon after the Senior Celebration held by the delegates last year. After noticing people watching a basketball game on the huge screens in the Hunter Henry Center ballroom, he thought it would be a great place to watch the Super Bowl.
    Haynes said, “I think you couldn’t get a better venue for watching the Super Bowl than this.”
    Craig Carrigee, a senior physics major, said he plans to attend the event.
    “Free food and entertainment-you can’t go wrong,” Carrigee said.
    Turnout for the event will determine its success. Gordon said organizers are hoping for 250 people.
    If the crowd is big enough, the delegates will consider making the party an annual event.