CAB program offers Tuesday entertainment

The Campus Activities Board will launch its Fourth Tuesday Music Series tonight at 8 in The Union Dawghouse. Tonight’s performance, featuring local musician Bill Cooke, is the first of four, with a different performer scheduled for the fourth Tuesday in February, March and April.
    Mitch Stringer, head of CAB’s Dawghouse committee, said his idea for the music series came from a desire to start a coffeehouse event that students could go to and hear good music.
    “We’ve been putting this together for a couple months now and we’ve gotten the bands we looked into,” Stringer said. “We’re really excited about it.”
    Stringer said his committee chose two of the performers and the other two the group decided on were artists that Stringer and his committee had heard about through other people.
    January’s performer, Bill Cooke, is a local musician who plays regularly at The Cotton District Grill and Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern.
    Matt Morris, February’s featured artist, is a pianist and guitar player who co-authored American Idol Kelly Clarkson’s hit “Miss Independent.”
    March will bring the sounds of Patchouli, made up of Julie and Bruce Henkel, to The Dawghouse.
    The last performer of the series, singer/songwriter Del Suggs, will wrap things up as April’s performer. The Feb. 24, March 23 and April 27 performances will also begin at 8 p.m.
    Marsey Odom, former Dawghouse employee, said she thinks the Fourth Tuesday Music Series is a great idea.
    “I think people will appreciate getting the chance to hear live music on campus,” Odom said. “And it’s hard to go wrong with good music, especially with the variety of artists CAB has lined up for the series.”
    Stringer said he is expecting from 50 to 100 people. “It’s going to be a first time, and you never know with a first time,” he said.
    Kelly Nesbit, assistant director of The Colvard Union and adviser to CAB, said the series is likely to continue if it proves successful.
    “If the person that’s over The Dawghouse next year wants to do it, then we’ll do it,” Nesbit said. “If it’s a success, I would think that they’d definitely want to do it again, but it’s really up to whomever will be in charge of that committee.”