Bayou and swamp: Dawgs make themselves at home

When we last left off, the Bulldogs were on their way to formidable road opponents in Baton Rouge and Gainesville.
    I had dozens of questions about how the Dawgs would respond to what Stansbury called a “gut-wrenching” loss against Kentucky.
    The Wildcats are the team that everyone wants to beat in the Southeastern Conference.
    Being from the Bluegrass State, head coach Rick Stansbury, assistant coaches Phil Cunningham and Mark White and freshman reserve Billy Begley had to want that game more than any other on the schedule.
    After all, the only thing sweeter than being on the team you’ve followed since youth is beating that team–and that would have been sweeter than honey.
    But life isn’t always smooth sugar. To quote Charles Swindoll, “I am convinced that 10 percent of life is what happens to me and 90 percent is how I react.”
    OK, put the quote book down and let’s play basketball.
    Stansbury, his staff, and the Bulldogs responded to their worst disappointment of the season with the two most convincing wins of the season.
    The Dawgs said to the SEC and the rest of country on the highlight shows, “Now that we have your attention, let us show you what we can do.”
    The biggest difference?
    Stansbury started Shane Power instead of Marcus Campbell.
    The quicker line-up paid off.
    as Power’s ball handling and decision-making led to a fluid offense in the opening minutes.
    Despite shrinking the line-up, rebounding did not suffer. State went down on the Bayou and caged the Tigers to one offensive rebound in the first half.
    LSU made its run, but State responded without a panic and sent Tiger fans out of the Maravich Assemlby Center without a roar.
    Wednesday offered the Dawgs another opportunity to show the region what it can do.
    I rushed home from a meeting Wednesday just in time for the game. When I flipped on the tube, I wore my thumb out trying to find the game.
    I called a friend, he told me the channel. To my dismay, Fox Sports on the Dish Network was showing “The Best Damn Sports Show Period.”
    I had to act fast. No way would I be able to endure The Worst Damn Show on Television.
    Who can sit and listen to Tom Arnold and his poss talk about nothing for hours? Tom Arnold married Roseanne Barr and people still turn to him for opinions?
    Thankfully, my friends answered the phone and invited me over.
    The Dawgs converted Florida’s traps into lay-ups time and time again.
    Gators coach Billy Donovan kept trying to trap the Dawgs and they kept escaping and scoring.
    Power delivered his best performance yet: 15 points and seven assists in 39 minutes.
    Lawrence Roberts was a man among school children in the paint for 21 points and 14 rebounds.
    Crocodile hunter Steve Irwin wouldn’t have been satisfied with Gainesville, because (please read the following aloud with an Austrailian accent) the “Rowdy Reptiles” were left powerless. Never before have Gators looked so weak on television.
    Okay, we can put the Australian accent back on the shelf for now and get back to watching basketball–if you can get tickets.
    Craig Peters can be reached at [email protected] pt [email protected].