Benjy Davis Project returns to Rick’s

The Benjy Davis Project has arrived, and they want everyone to know they have always been here. Judging by the estimated 200 fans who turned out Wednesday night, it is probably safe to say their “secret” is out. This was the Project’s fourth visit to Rick’s Cafe. The Louisiana-based band has managed to blend a dirty Southern folk style with experimental college rock and have created a unique sound.
    “They sing about things that guys and girls of any college can relate to,” says Rick’s cafe owner, Rick Welch. “Anybody who has experienced a laid back afternoon will be able to relate to these guys.”
    Bartender Amber Fowlkes agrees that the band has a very laid back style, but says they also sing about deeper things.
    The band should be able to relate to deeper things considering how they came together as a group. Band founder, Benjy Davis started singing at the age of 10 as a form of therapy for his stuttering. When he was 13, his mother gave him his first guitar and encouraged him to start taking lessons.
    Benjy teamed up with Micheal Galasso and Mic Capdevielle, who were fiends with Benjy’s older brother, Amos.
    Violinist Anthony Rushing was brought in by Micheal, and bassist Brett Bolden was brought in by Anthony. Lead guitarist Jonathan Lawhun was brought in after being suggested to Benjy by a music shop owner in Baton Rouge, La.
    The Benjy Davis Project was formed and quickly began playing local clubs while trying to produce and release a record. The Project was introduced to Rick through the band Ingram Hill and has been coming back ever since.
    Benjy says he loves Starkville’s appeal.
    “I think Starkville has a great sense what it wants as far as musical tastes go. The people here are really accepting and really like to party. Who wants to argue with that, man?”
    Rick’s employees Brad Holt and Curry Williams say that the Project always packs in the crowd when they play the Cafe.
    “They have their own sound. They’re original and people are looking for that,” says Williams.
    “We love coming here,” says Benjy. “If you guys want us to come back and play, we’ll be here.”