Intramurals offer social interaction, athletic activity

Mississippi State offers a variety of individual, dual and team sports to the entire university community. They also have many student employment opportunities.
    This semester the intramural office will offer softball, ultimate Frisbee, soccer, golf, tennis, badminton, table tennis, eight ball, flag football, wiffleball, kickball, volleyball, basketball, a punt, pass and kick competition and racquetball.
    The intramural office will also open up two new events for the semester, dodgeball and poker. With so many options available everyone should find their niche. Not to mention the great exercise and maybe even a really cool shirt.
    Intramural graduate assistant Corey Lucas is excited about the upcoming semester.
    “We encourage freshmen and transfers to come by and sign up for an intramural team and go have fun. Freshmen usually come to school and start looking for things to do and the intramural office as well as the Sanderson Center offers the most opportunities for them to be active. We also love for new students to come work for us as scorekeepers and referees.”
    Senior Brandi Richardson remembers her freshman year at Mississippi State and how intramural sports helped her meet new people.
    “Being a part of team my freshman year really helped me to bond with people and make some friends that I have kept for all four years now. It’s a lot easier to talk to someone who is on your team rather than someone who happens to have a class with you.”
    Transfer students also often find it difficult to fit in when entering a new university. Jason Yarber felt more like a part of Mississippi State after joining an intramural softball team,” Yarber said.
    “As a transfer student intramural sports helped me to meet new people and feel like I was more involved with the university. It was nice to do something at school other than go to classes.”
    Sign-up days for softball, Frisbee and soccer end Wednesday. If you cannot find a team to join you can go by the intramural sports office, located inside the Joe Frank Sanderson Center, and sign the Free Agent list.
    The card games will begin on the first Monday of November with Blackjack. Texas Hold’em will be on the first Monday of October. Seven-card stud will be on the last Monday of October.
    Dodgeball will begin Sept. 10. All entries for dodgeball must be turned in by Sept. 8.
    For more information on intramural sports you can call the intramural office at 325-0349. You can also pick up a fall schedule for intramural sports or talk to an assistant at the intramural office inside the Sanderson Center.