Student Association should be careful with student vote

On most days, I am an avid supporter of the MSU Student Association. Having worked with the organization for the last four years, I have great respect for its missions, especially those of voter education and increased student participation in Starkville government.
    After reading Josh Foreman’s article on the SA petition drive in Friday’s Reflector, however, I feel compelled to call attention to areas of concern. For those not familiar with the situation, the petition drive, spearheaded by the Greater Starkville Development Partnership, would call for a citywide vote on Starkville’s form of government, and citizens would then vote to decide between a “strong mayor/ council” and “mayor/board of aldermen” system.
    My first concern involves the motivations of those organizing the effort. Candidly, I believe that when money is involved (and the SA would receive payment of some kind for its participation in the petition drive), one must question the motivations of the financial supporters. While I see great benefits in the generosity of the Partnership, I shudder to think that they might see students as a constituency to be bought.
    Secondly, while Telle says that the Student Association endorses neither proposed form of government, I feel that a call for a vote can be seen as a veiled call for change. Rarely does one ask for the chance to vote to keep things the way they are. Is the SA really neutral?
    Lastly, I urge the SA to consider carefully the actions they take and the potential impact on current students, future students and the Starkville community. As influential opinion leaders on campus, SA executive officers, cabinet directors, senators and committee members are looked to for information and guidance on campus matters. The SA voice can be heard loud and clear, so be careful what message you broadcast.
    In closing, I encouraage all students to be informed and I challenge them to evaluate both the advantages and disadvantages of calling for a vote before they sign in Tuesday and Wednesday’s petition drive. Similarly, I caution President Telle to think about the impact of his decisions before inadvertently selling the student vote.
    Holli Hitt is a senior communication major.