SA does not take payments

I am writing in response to Friday’s front-page Reflector article concerning the Starkville city government petition drive. The Student Association would like to clarify what kind of “compensation” it has received during the petition process.
    The SA will not accept any direct payment or compensation of any other type for its cooperation. The only item of monetary value the SA has received that related in any way to the petition drive was ambulance service for Bulldog Bash on Fri., Sept. 10.
    The service was critical to the safety of the students and families at the event, and we are appreciative of the generosity of the Greater Starkville Development Partnership and Oktibbeha County Hospital. Several students received medical treatment for minor injuries during the event, and this would not have been possible without the support of GSDP and OCH.
    If offered any further forms of compensation for our participation in the drive, the SA will decline. We believe that one cannot place a price on the value of the drive; this effort is rooted in the belief that democracy is the only way to steer Starkville’s future.
    We believed and continue to believe that the opportunity to raise awareness of the possibilities for Starkville’s government is a worthy cause and one that is potentially beneficial to the students of MSU.
    Adam Telle is the Student Association president. He can be reached at [email protected].