Roxie’s hosts eleven bands

Roxie’s Square Table Spoon is preparing a hodge-podge of Starkville flavor for Friday night when eleven local bands are slated to perform.
    Roxie’s booked some of Starkville’s well-known talent as well as one band making their debut.
    Monty Singletary, a bartender at Roxie’s, said this is the type of concert he has always wanted to see in the city.
    “It’s going to be very low-key,” Singeltary, also a senior at MSU, said. “There will be tables and chairs out back, and we’re using a flatback trailer for the stage.”
    Featuring acts such as The Waco Dead and Young Agent Jones, the concert was planned to start in the afternoon and culminate in a jam session with members of the bands perfoming together, Singletary added.
    Eristocracy will make their Starkville debut at 4 p.m.
    Eristocracy member Jonathan Cartrette, also an MSU senior, said the band has been together since 2000. While most of the band members’ friends have heard their music, this would be the first time for them to perform at a venue, he added.
    “We’re all local, and we’ve all done our time in the trenches, so we’d kind of like our shot,” he said. “We have a really different sound than most people around here,” he added, describing the band’s sound as part metal, part grunge revival. The band’s drawn inspiration from groups such as Alice in Chains, and in addition to having their own material, also cover other songs, even Pachabel’s Canon in D.
    Singletary listed the other acts scheduled to play.
    Justin Dellriva will play at 4:30 p.m., Tim Mendel at 5 p.m. and The Waco Dead take the stage at 5:30 p.m.
    The band Pet Boy Sherman will start at 6:30 p.m., followed by Dell Rendon and Lee Graham at 7:15 p.m. At 7:45 p.m. Young Agent Jones plays.
    Then Sanford performs at 8:45 p.m, with Jimmy and Katie at 9:30 and Chainsaw at 10 p.m.
    DJ Brik-a-Brak takes the stage at 11 p.m. After all the acts perform, some of the different band members will have a “jam session” around midnight.
    Singletary said that one of the bands, Jimmy and Katie, might not be able to make it to the concert.
    If this happens, he said, then Chainsaw will perform an extended set.
    Ben Hodges, bassist for Young Agent Jones, said the doors will open at 3 p.m. and that for a $15 cover attendees will receive a bottomless cup of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer.
    Singletary said the cover would get customers an armband, but adding that a $5 cover applies for people not wanting the bottomless cup. He added that Roxie’s exclusively serves beer and that the bar will be open to customers who would like something else to drink.
    “We are paying the bands, so we have to have some cove,.” he said.
    Most of the bands have played here as well as other places in Starkville before, Singletary said, and we want them to continue to play at Roxie’s.