SA senators allocate appropriations

The Student Association Senate approved the final bill for the 2004-2005 appropriations Tuesday night.
    The appropriations committee divided $20,000 among the student organizations that applied for funds.
    Sen. Edward Sanders asked how the committee determined what amount each group would receive.
    “The forms asked for their budget and what the money would be used for,” said Sen. Delcenia Collins, a member of the appropriations committee.
    The total amount of money requested by organizations surpassed the funds available.
    “We had 66 organizations submit forms with a budget of $20,000 and requests over $96,000,” Sen. Tabor Mullen said.
    The committee agreed to distribute an equal amount of funds to all honor societies. The members then took how each group planned on spending the funds into account.
    “If you are benefiting MSU students the most, then we try to help as much as possible,” Collins said.
    Before considering a group’s request, the Senate looks at each organization’s past acquired funds, and how they were used.
    A second concern from SA members was the organizations’ accountability. All organizations must give a list of the budget, receipts, and any expenses paid for by previously received funds.
    “If they didn’t turn in an accountability form, they are penalized for a year,” SA treasurer Kathryn Spencer said.
    A penalized group cannot receive funds for a full year. In fairness to organizations that apply in the spring, the committee reserved $4,000.
    In two weeks, the SA plans to take opinions, ideas and concerns from students on ways they would like funds to be used.