Campus counselors to test for depression

Counseling and Testing Services is sponsoring National Depression Screening Day from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Thursday in the Colvard Student Union.
    National Depression Day is a nationwide program designed to provide information about the signs, symptoms and treatment of depression, bipolar disorder and other mental health disorders.
    The screening day will consist of music, pamphlets, surveys and on-site consulting. Students will be asked to fill out a quick evaluation and, based on their answers, may be given a slip of paper that will enable them to talk one-on-one with a counselor.
    According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, depression is “a neurotic or psychotic disorder marked by sadness, inactivity, difficulty in thinking and concentration, a significant increase or decrease in appetite and time spent sleeping, feelings of dejection and hopelessness and sometimes suicidal tendencies.”
    The National Mental Health Association reports that one in four women and one in 10 men will experience depression at some point during his or her lifetime.
    With the right treatment, 80 percent of those who seek help get better, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. However, two-thirds of those suffering from the illness do not seek the necessary treatment.
    Dr. Beatrice Tatum, a counseling psychologist at Mississippi State, is the coordinator for the screening day.
    “Most college students avoid seeking help because of the stigma attached to psychologists. Many think their friends will think they are crazy because they are trying to receive counseling. Others believe they can overcome the stress by waiting it out,” Tatum said.
    Such neglect can be dangerous, she said. “The best way to avoid depression is to talk to people about your problems. Try not to get yourself involved in stressful situations. If your family has a history of depression or mental illness, then you may need counseling.”