End hypocrisy in the polls

In a few days, decisions shaping the future of our state will be made. The big decision, and consequently the one receiving more attention, concerns the presidential race. Yet a lesser publicized, but still crucial, issue will also appear on the state election ballots-gay marriage.
    It’s funny that something that took such precedence in the media only a few months ago doesn’t seem to be making waves in this state today. Perhaps it’s because people feel that certain issue is already decided, and a gay marriage amendment is soon to be inked into our state constitution.
    Personally, I’m disgusted with the hypocrisy of certain groups within Mississippi, a hypocrisy allowing such a discriminatory amendment on the ballot.
    To the Mississippi Legislature, I have one thing to say. For a legislative body that has repeatedly said it wants to move the state away from its infamous past, you did a bang-up job. By having this amendment placed on the ballot, you have effectively announced to the rest of the country that Mississippi will once again be known as the place where ostracizing a minority is not only a common practice but a way of life.
    Maybe the lawmakers should find a way to incorporate this slogan into our state flag, in effect sending a message that homosexuals are the latest minority to join Mississippi’s “Hate and Discriminate” list.
    To the state’s religious groups, I have a few things to say. A vote against the gay marriage amendment would be in violation of your faith, and therefore I understand why you cannot vote a certain way.
    However, the Christian belief is one that stresses free will and the importance of loving and respecting all people. To vote in favor of this amendment would be forcing others who may not agree with your ideas to have to abide by them anyway. Essentially it’s pressuring people to live by your rules and denying them the choice to live their own lives.
    More importantly, it’s completely hypocritical to state that gay marriages shouldn’t be allowed because homosexuality is a sin to Christians, and then not actively campaign for other sinners to have their marriage rights revoked. Instead, by picking on gays and lesbians, the religious groups are singling out one part of society and treating homosexuals like second-class citizens. As a member of the Christian faith I see a problem with this.
    Get off your soapboxes and learn to tolerate different views from your own. No one is saying you have to agree with the lifestyle, but you should learn to respect a person’s right to his or her own life.
    So to all religious groups who are preaching to add a law that separates, humiliates and disrespects others, I say don’t vote on this matter. If you have problems with allowing gay marriage, at least don’t vote to take away a basic right from someone who you’ve never met and probably never will.
    To the civil rights groups and activists in the state, I’m wondering why you’ve remained silent in this battle. Does the concept of civil rights apply to all minorities, or just the more popular ones? Remember, there were times when other minorities were not considered socially acceptable, either.
    The fight for civil rights has been ongoing for decades with some very powerful and commendable leeway made in the struggle. But the fight is far from over, and it’s not going to end if civil rights activists sit down and refuse to help those discriminated against.
    Silence can be deafening, and in the case of the state’s civil rights workers it has sent a clear message-“We don’t care.”
    Hypocrisy is a strong word, one that most people despise to be accused of. But sometimes the truth hurts, and it doesn’t take a lot of imagination or common sense to realize that certain groups within Mississippi are hypocritical.
    Discrimination is an inexcusable offense, especially when done to fellow citizens. To deny homosexuals the right to marry their loved ones is an act of bias, pure and simple.
    The only thing I can think of worse than that is a narrow-minded faction of society waving their self-righteous banners of hate, intolerance and hypocrisy.
    Dustin Barnes is a senior communication major. He can be reached at [email protected].