Senators hold first meeting

The deadline for campus groups requesting appropriations from the Student Association Senate is 5 p.m. today.
    During the first meeting of the newly-elected Senators Tuesday, SA President Adam Telle reminded members of the approaching deadline. Any of the 300 student organizations on campus may fill out a form to request money from the SA.
    “The appropriation allows us [SA] to put money back into the campus community by assigning money to all groups that apply,”, said Sen. Brooklyn Harris, a graduate student representative.
    Also during the meeting, the Senate addressed three resolutions involving crossbars for the shuttles and parking fees on football game days.
    Sorority Row Sen. Christy Vinson presented Resolution 6 which requested shuttle crossbars to be left open from 7 p.m. Friday until 7 p.m. Sunday.
    “The students living off-campus would have much easier and safer access to sorority row coming from the South part of the city,” Vinson said.
    Once the floor became open for discussion, Edward Sanders, senator for Smith Hall, informed the SA of last year’s attempt to pass a similar resolution.
    Sanders said that the University Traffic Policy Committee objected, ruling the crossbar space inefficient to allow both lanes of traffic to pass. The Senate still voted to send the resolution to the committee.
    Another resolution introduced by Vinson addressed a $10 parking fee for out-of-zone parking on Sorority Row during football games.
    She said many of the guests are visiting members of sororities for scheduled functions. The resolution suggested a refund of the parking fee if the vehicles are removed by the end of the first quarter. It was also suggested passes be given to visitors in order to monitor vehicles. Sen. Cory Carter of the College of Engineering seconded the suggestion for passes, then pointed out the significance of parking during Homecoming weekend.
    “Many fraternities and sororities have Parents’ Day on Homecoming before the football game,” Carter said. A resolution suggested that parking be open on Sorority and Fraternity rows until 10:30 a.m. on Homecoming Saturday. The resolution will be reviewed by Parking Services, the University Traffic Policy Committee and the dean of students before final approval.
    Due to the approaching date, Sen. Tucker Sappington of Fraternity Row said he thinks a decision by the committees will occur soon.