Sorority to dunk campus ‘hunks’

The Chi Omegas will make a splash Thursday in its second annual “Dunk the Hunk” spaghetti supper to support the Make-A-Wish foundation.
    Each fraternity on campus will nominate a “hunk” to brave the elements (for about 15 minutes at a time) in the dunking booth on the back lawn of the Chi Omega house on Sorority Row.
    A $5 ticket includes spaghetti, salad, garlic bread, drink and three chances to submerge a fraternity member.
    Everyone is invited to attend Thursday’s activities.
    “Those who want to contribute but can’t participate are welcome as well,” junior Emily Cole said. “We will have girls out front for people in a hurry. It’s almost like a semi drive-through for a real good cause.”
    Tickets may be purchased from any Chi Omega or from the sorority house.
    Tickets are also available at the time of the event. All of the money generated by the event will go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The foundation raises money to grant wishes for children with serious illnesses.
    Last year’s supper and annual spring tennis tournament brought in about $10,000, Cole said. The members of Chi Omega are expecting a bigger turnout this year.
    Last year, weather was an uncertainty.
    “We held the event in late October. It was rather chilly,” Chi Omega Vice President Avery Carlisle said. “I could tell that the boys in the booth were shivering.”
    The sorority’s goal is to raise $20,000 goal for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. They expect most of the money to come from “Dunk a Hunk” and the annual spring tennis tournament.
    Sometimes the Chi Omegas witness firsthand the wishes they help grant. “One year I accompanied a young girl to a furniture store here in Starkville. She wanted and received her own refrigerator,” Carlisle said.
    Other sisters have seen the effects firsthand as well.
    “We recently had a sorority member whose younger sister was stricken with cancer. Her wish was to visit Hawaii. We were able to send her and her immediate family on a dream vacation,” junior Kristy Sharpe said.