International activities broaden cultural experience

The air is getting colder, finals are fast approaching and you may be feeling that basketball might not be the perfect escape. But there’s good news. For escape, you can look to the international section of campus.
    Last week, students participated in the Diwali Festival in a celebration of Indian culture. The festival, while a religious celebration, was also a chance for others to taste a culture other than their own
    During this week and next week, International Games will be held as a part of the International Education Week. In a competition similar to the Olympics, international students will participate in many games that do not include American football. The games do include soccer, though, the football for the rest of the world.
    Also, many times, you can walk out on the Drill Field and be treated to watching cricket practice.
    But there are not just games and festivals. The International Education Week will host the International Understanding Lecture by Rev. Carmelo O. Diola, a priest from the Philippines.
    Let’s face it. In activities, the international students tend to be overlooked. So it’s great to see international student activities playing a bigger role in daily campus life.
    It gets campus away from football culture and exposes other students to other cultures and points of view. Where else are you going to be exposed to this kind of culture in Mississippi? Certainly nowhere around here.
    Take this opportunity to expand your experience, expose yourself to diversity and enlighten your perspectives of different cultures.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Angela Adair, news editor Elizabeth Crisp, sports editor Craig Peters, entertainment editor Dustin Barnes, managing editor Pam McTeer and editor in chief Josh Foreman.