Boys and Girls Club finds home

For the first time since its establishment three years ago, the Starkville Boys and Girls Club has approval from the mayor and Board of Aldermen for its own home on Lynn Lane.
    The organization has been unable to serve students since the end of July when it had to vacate its previous location of Armstrong Middle School.
    The Starkville School Board requested that the club halt operations out of the middle school due to conflicts with their presence during school-year preparations.
    “Since we’ve been closed, we have canvassed the city looking for a location,” said Melvin Ray, chairman of the Starkville Boys and Girls Club advisory board. “We have the funds to move forward and provide a safe, educational environment.”
    More than 100 students attend the after school program during the school year and this number increase to around 200 to 300 during the summer, he said.
    “Right now, children are going home to no supervision and are not getting assistance with their homework,” he said. “We have been bombarded with calls-there is a definite need for our facility.”
    “Once we gain approval, we plan to start renovation of classrooms, offices and an open recreation room at 911 Lynn Lane.”
    The site, which is owned by Sally Richardson Properties, lies within an M-1, or manufacturing, zone and was approved as a special exception use by the city attorney and commission.
    Clayton Richardson, of Sally Richardson Properties, said those tenants already occupying the location fully support the exception as well.
    “I had a petition signed by almost all the occupants on the property stating they had no objections to including the Boys and Girls Club as a special exception,” he said.
    Ray added that the site is beneficial to the club because it is located across from McKee Park and the Sportsplex.
    “Because this site provides access to the park and Sportsplex, we’ll be able to put our funds towards programs and tutoring, instead of building a recreational facility, ” he said. “We are so grateful for Clayton’s support in aiding our approval of this location.”
    The club’s funds have come from support within the community, Ray said.
    “The (Northeast Mississippi) Daily Journal raised $80,000 for our new facility through a community challenge, and the local Kiwanis Club awarded us a $40,000 grant,” he said. “We have the funds needed for renovations and to run our facility. We are very thankful.”
    Ray said that Mississippi State University has also been very supportive in keeping the club alive and on the road to finding a permanent location.
    “Individuals like President (Charles) Lee, Dr. (William) Kibler, Coach (Sylvester) Croom and Adam Telle have been very supportive and are looking at ways to interject the university with our facility,” he said. “We welcome new opportunities for students to give back to their community through volunteering, work-studies, internships and mentoring.”
    Student Association President Adam Telle said their community service committee plans to be involved with the club in the future. The Student Association is also hoping that a portion of the money they are raising for United Way can go toward the Boys and Girls Club, he said.
    “This year we’re raising more money for United Way than in the past, and we’re hoping that some of this money can go towards the Boys and Girls Club,” he said. “This organization is part of our future. Taking at-risk children and motivating them to strive for excellence prepares them to be college students-future MSU students.”
    A campaign developed by MSU football head coach Sylvester Croom called “Croom’s Challenge” is one way the club has been able to engage its members while not operating out of a facility, Ray said.
    “Coach Croom awarded the club with 10 season tickets as a way to award our students,” he said. “Each home game we’ve selected five students based on academic achievement, character development and healthy lifestyle and awarded them with two tickets.”
    Ray added that the students selected must attend the game with a parent or guardian. “We’re not only promoting leadership, but we’re promoting quality time spent between parents and children.”
    The Bagley College of Engineering and the Junior Toastmasters have been committed to the club as well, he said.
    The board approved the proposal under the conditions that the city will meet the necessary safety precautions such as a painted crosswalk and appropriate signage.
    Ray said Starkville Police Chief David Lindley, a former member of the Boy’s and Girl’s Club board, had been helpful.
    “He has ordered orange vests for our employees to wear so they may stop traffic and escort the children to the park.”