Holmes donates papers to university

Richard Holmes celebrated his 60th birthday in an unusual way: he gave a gift instead of receiving one.
    Holmes, the first black student to attend Mississippi State, presented his personal and professional papers to his alma mater in a Tuesday ceremony.
    Holmes integrated MSU on June 19, 1965.
    The papers include letters to his family and friends during his time in Starkville and while he served in the U.S. Army.
    “Dr. Holmes’s donation of his papers is a really excellent chance for present and future students of Mississippi State University to learn about a truly influential individual on our community as a whole,” said Aretha Jones-Cook, who is the director of MSU’s cultural diversity center which is named for Holmes.
    Holmes grew up in Starkville and attended Wiley College in Marshall Texas for two years before transferring to his hometown university.
    The (Jackson) Clarion-Ledger reported “No incidents as MSU registers first negro” the day after Holmes enrolled.
    Holmes told The Reflector in a previous article that “I think the faculty and staff realized that (integration) was probably a good thing, and it was time for a change. It was really only a small fragment or portion of the people there making those catcalls. They weren’t representative of the student body.”
    Holmes issued a news release that day which explained his desire to keep a low profile.
    “I realize that my entering Mississippi State University is a news item, but I hope that after today the press, news media and the public will forget I am here. I did not come here for fanfare or publicity. As a life-long Mississippian, I am here to study and learn at a high-rated university which happens to be in my hometown. I seek no special favors. I hope there will be no impediments from any source during my stay at State.”
    Holmes was “the right person for the right moment,” said Michael Ballard, who coordinates the Congressional and Research Center.
    Holmes received a bachelor’s and master’s degree from State and a medical degree from Michigan State University.
    Holmes worked as an emergency room physician in Birmingham for 22 years before returning to campus to work at the Longest Student Health Center.
    He and his wife, Judy, endowed a scholarship for minorities.
    They reside in Columbus.