Don’t take morals out of it

While the integrity of marriage in America has been compromised with reality TV shows and a high divorce rate, the sacredness of it should not be dismissed lightly.
    At the same-sex marriage forum Tuesday night, people shouted for equality, justice and morality. One point, however, struck me: the idea that morality and justice could not be joined together.
    Morality, as defined by Webster’s, exists as “the quality of being in accord with standards of good and bad conduct.” A moral is defined as the “judgment of goodness or badness of human actions.”
    Granted, each person interprets right and wrong differently-yet we all share similar beliefs. Whether Muslim, Christian, atheist, eclectic or undecided, few would consider homicide good-or rape, stealing or lying either. Individuals may commit these acts, but they are punished by society through the legal system.
    Our laws do not make something good or bad. Rather, our laws are an expression of our morality.
    Laws against murder, incest, rape and burglary are all instituted by the government for our protection. But these laws were created from inspiration higher than the government-our “consciences.”
    The laws we have protect what we consider valuable to us-even sacred.
    In the same way, the institution of marriage between one man and one woman predates America itself. The laws we have merely protect what we have ordained to be pure and right since the beginning of the world.
    A boundary for marriage must exist. If we have a man marry a man, why shouldn’t a man have two or three wives? Are they not providing companionship and love to each other? If love and companionship are all that constitute a marriage, then what makes polygamy unacceptable but a same-sex marriage all right?
    Just as morals guide these situations, morals cannot be shunned in regard to same-sex marriages.
    Marriage has existed throughout history, cultivating love, companionship and offspring in its natural state. Since the beginning, the world populated itself with heterosexual couples, and the human race has continued to expand because of that natural relationship. If homosexuality was a natural process then whole pockets of the world would have died off.
    Our standards for marriage as between a man and a woman have not been dictated by the law, but by our beliefs and instincts throughout history.
    Here in the Bible Belt many people go to church and claim to be Christians-but church attendance does not make someone a believer in Christ. It requires faith.
    A homosexual woman at the forum professed to be Christian, but said one “must take the Bible out of it (same-sex relationships).”
    As a Christian, one cannot disregard the Scriptures. The Bible is the instruction book of Christians, holding the very words of God-his plans, his promises and his opinions.
    A believer cannot select the parts of the Bible he likes and apply only that portion to his life, especially in something as important as relationships. The Bible is not selective on what is applicable. It applies to our whole lives as believers.
    Saying the Bible doesn’t matter-that what the Lord says should be ignored-takes away faith in Christ, which is the foundation of the Christian life. The Bible is not God, and it is not religion itself. However, faith in Jesus Christ is based on the Word of God. If one takes away parts of the Bible from his life, one is taking out the authority of God.
    Pam McTeer is a senior communication major. She can be reached at [email protected]