Music festival to host Nickel Creek

Student Association President Josh Blades confirmed at Tuesday’s senate meeting that Nickel Creek will perform in the Old Main Music Festival April 24.
    Blades said, the band has “the best mandolin player in the world.” He said the SA is working on getting another big act for the event as well.
    Blades said the association has received permission from the Starkville Board of Aldermen to close off portions of the streets for the music festival. One act has already been confirmed for the festival.
    The senate also sent a ticket donation proposal to the student affairs committee for review.
    Sen. Edward Sanders proposed a plan that would allow ticket holders who are unable to attend an athletic event to donate their ticket to the Athletic Support Committee.
    The committee would then disperse the unused tickets after the ticket office had given out its supply.
    The proposal would allow the program to begin immediately, in order to include remaining basketball games and upcoming baseball games. It also requested the plan be announced on the athletic department Web site.
    Sen. Lacie Wilkerson favored the proposal, and said some people buy season tickets to keep their seats but are unable to attend all the games.
    “I agree with the proposal,” Sen. T.J. Harvey said. “My only concern is that we make sure and hand out the [donated] tickets in a formal and fair manner.”
    Sen. Seth Stephenson suggested that the senate pass the resolution and allow the Athletic Support Committee to decide how to distribute the tickets fairly.
    Sen. Laurie Carlisle said she felt the idea could cause more trouble than it was worth, since most alumni either gave their tickets away or sell them. Also, students are not required to have tickets for the baseball games, Carlisle said.
    Sen. Jeremy England motioned to send the plan to committee for further evaluation of what constitutes a fair manner of disbursing the tickets.
    Also at the meeting, Sanders submitted another resolution that passed unanimously to name Hossein Razzaghi as the vice elections commissioner for the 2004 SA executive election.