HDTVs eclipse analog models in quality, price

A few years ago, a person could own a “big screen” and a recliner and be set. Now, traditional big screen TVs, though relatively new themselves, look obsolete sitting next to brand new high-definition widescreens.
    HDTV, or a high-definition digital television, offers a sharper, more clear-cut image than older, analog television sets. By increasing the screen’s resolution, a more photograph-like image is produced on the screens.
    The picture is superior, but they have drawbacks: $3,000 is considered a low price for the TVs, and some don’t even come with tuners. More elaborate models can cost more than $10,000.
    “The aspect ratio, or picture size, of these new high-definition televisions is 16-by-9, compared to a 4-by-3 aspect of analog television, gives a much better picture display,” said Ralph Olivieri, director of operations at the University Television Center.
    “It’s like looking out a window at the world,” he added.
    The high-definition television, with its large wide-screen display, makes viewing movies easier with its movie-like picture display and 5:1 Dolby Digital surround sound. This digital television offers viewers an optimized product to view television, movies and other medium.
    High-definition television combines many enhancing components available solely in digital products to give a superior final product. One of the components utilized is MPEG-2, a feature used in digital devices to cut out visual details that the naked eye cannot see.
    Although this represents the best television has to offer, there are some problems that have arisen.
    The Federal Communications Commission has set the date of 2006 to have high-definition television as the standard for the mass market.
    The switch from analog to digital television will be of great cost to manufacturers, consumers and broadcasters. They must upgrade all of their equipment, including cameras, editing tools and broadcasting components.
    This cost increase has led many broadcasters to attempt to block high-definition television from becoming the media standard. Although the switch to high-definition is slow, some major networks have began switching in anticipation of new HDTV broadcasts.
    Another problem brought up by this hardware switch is the consumer’s need for new equipment and components. Two types of high-definition televisions are on the market.
    An integrated HDTV features a built-in tuner and would be capable of picking up local high-definition stations with a set top, much like how our cable boxes work.
    An HD-ready TV has the capability to receive high-definition broadcasts through stations already giving these broadcasts or through satellite companies such as DirecTV, which broadcasts in high-definition.
    Cowboy Maloney’s, a Jackson-based electronics retailer, offers both of these televisions. Brad Scott, a Cowboy Maloney’s employee at the Columbus store, said both have uses.
    “Although our area does not have local high-definition stations, with an HD-ready TV and satellite receiver, viewing in high-definition becomes a reality,” Scott said.
    Scott said that although we don’t have HD stations in this area, many people are still purchasing the integrated HD sets in Jackson, Memphis and other larger cities, where HD stations are in broadcast.
    By 2006, when the technology will be usable by everyone, high-definition television will be a welcome advancement to the state of television.
    “The advancements in high-definition digital television has led to a better picture and sound quality which, in the near future, may lead to new applications to audio-visual technology and production,” said junior electrical engineering major Ben Payment.