‘Lounge’ changes unlikely

Campus officials say concerns of homemade outfield stands no longer being part of Dudy Noble Field, Polk-Dement Stadium should be put to rest.
    Bobby Tomlinson, assistant athletic director for facilities and game management, says those renting space behind the outfield wall still like their makeshift seating devices that make up “Leftfield Lounge.”
    “It looks like the general consensus is they don’t want to change anything,” Tomlinson said.
    And that’s just fine for those who want to ensure the tradition of the “Lounge” remains.
    A recent letter from Tomlinson to space holders asked them to consider the idea of a permanent seating structure for the purpose of safety. The letter, which included a request to be returned, allowed renters to check one of two boxes to indicate whether or not they wanted the change.
    “I think most people are pleased that we’re trying to be safe,” Tomlinson said.
    Safety was the initial intent of Tomlinson’s letter, which first explained a new policy designed to protect children. When the 2004 baseball season begins, “in and out” parking passes will only be admitted earlier than 15 minutes before game time. The rule was designed to prevent vehicles from entering the stadium grounds while children play under the bleachers and in other parts of the area.
    “It’s just the concern of the vehicles,” Tomlinson said. “We’re just trying to cut down on the movement of vehicles when we have people moving in the (area).”
    Also working to aid in the protection of MSU has been Jerry Burnett, president of Safety Service Associates Inc., which assesses risks for many Mississippi facilities. On Burnett’s last visit to Dudy Noble, which came before the start of the 2003 season, he recommended the installation of permanent seats in “Leftfield Lounge.”
    “As a general rule, you want all the seating to adequately support people,” said Burnett, who added that the university would be liable for any injury occurring in the stands, regardless of who constructed the seats. “Our concerns were the temporary nature and the structural stability of some of the seating.”
    In other words, if an unsteady contraption led to injury to its own creator, MSU could still be blamed.
    The mere expression of Burnett’s concerns installed a fear in some fans that “Leftfield Lounge,” as they know it, might be dismantled. Based on Tomlinson’s statements, they have nothing to worry about.
    Tomlinson said the new “in and out” parking policy was not related to the earlier suggestions made by Burnett.