Career fair offers opportunities in architecture, interior design

The College of Architecture, the interior design program and the career center will host a career fair in Giles Hall on Wednesday.
    The fair will be open to third, fourth and fifth-year architecture majors looking for internships, co-operative education positions or full-time jobs said Jane Greenwood, associate dean of architecture.
    “We have about 16 firms signed up, including firms from Chicago, Nashville, Dallas, Montgomery, Jackson and Memphis,” Greenwood said.
    The fair will run from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. During this time students will talk to the firms and schedule interviews.
    There will be a luncheon with Ralph Maisel, the intern development program coordinator from 11:50 a.m. to 12:50 p.m.
    Maisel will provide the students with information and answer questions about internships.
    After the luncheon, students will interview from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. during their scheduled times in the Leo Seal M-Club Center, Greenwood said.
    Seniors in interior design will be attending the fair as well, said Beth Miller, associate professor of human sciences.
    The career fair offers students opportunities to get a full-time job or internship, Miller said.
    “The career fair is a good preparing experience for the students as far as meeting with the professionals and sharing portfolios,” Miller said.
    The career fair is a great help to students in architecture or interior design, said Chris Reed, senior architecture major.
    “By having the fair at the school of architecture, they encourage students to go get their name out and get experience with interviewing,” Reed said.
    Miller said the fair is a great networking tool because it allows the students to submit rsums. Many firms will keep the rsums in files that are shared throughout the branches of the firm.
    “Most firms have smaller branches in other parts of the United States and even if the large branch is not hiring, a smaller branch may have a position to fill,” Miller said.
    Reed said that the fair is most beneficial to those without connections.
    “The job fair is something that has always been helpful for those who come from small cities or don’t have contacts to start a network and make contacts,” Reed said.