Dawgs have dining on swine running through their minds

Having cleared numerous hurdles in this year’s magical run to first place in the SEC, the Mississippi State Bulldogs have another major hurdle approaching Saturday night.
    The Bulldogs (20-1, 9-1 SEC) will travel to Bud Walton Arena, where they have never won, to battle the last place Arkansas Razorbacks (11-10, 3-7 SEC).
    In 1995, the Mississippi State team that eventually went to the Sweet 16, lost in Arkansas. A year later the same Bulldogs that went to the Final Four lost in Bud Walton Arena. The same goes for the 2002 SEC Tournament Champions and 2003 Western Division Champions.
    Perhaps the most heartbreaking loss came last year to an Arkansas team that finished the season 9-19. Kendrick Davis converted a three-point-play for the Razorbacks with 25 seconds left to lift them to the 53-51 victory.
    However, MSU coach Rick Stansbury said that he isn’t even thinking about the losing streak.
    “I don’t put anything into the streak,” Stansbury said. “We’ve got a new team this year and this is the first time most of our starters have ever gone to Bud Walton.”
    While Stansbury isn’t thinking about the streak, the same can’t be said for some of his players.
    “We’ve never won up there and that’s kind of on our minds,” said Bulldog forward Branden Vincent. “We went up there last year and got beat by a last second shot. It’s tough to play them up there.”
    “We’re not going to worry about never winning in (Bud Walton),” point guard Timmy Bowers said. “We’re just going to go in there and play our style of basketball and hope to come out with the best.”
    Stansbury said that he doesn’t worry about why the Bulldogs have never garnered the elusive W in the arena that Wal-Mart built.
    “I don’t think of why (we haven’t won),” Stansbury said. “Arkansas has beaten a lot of people up there consistently.”
    After a physically and emotionally draining overtime victory at South Carolina Wednesday night, the Bulldogs will be forced to make a quick turnaround as they travel from the farthest eastern school in the SEC to the farthest western school in the conference. However, Stansbury isn’t worried about his “Road Warriors,” who are 10-0 on the road this season.
    “We have proven that we can go on the road anywhere and win,” Stansbury said. “Everywhere we go on the road we have an opportunity to win the basketball game and every team can’t say that.”