Barbour names IHL selections

Gov. Haley Barbour named four people Wednesday who would serve on the College Board if approved. Appointees are representatives of four universities in the state.
    As reported in The Clarion-Ledger, the Senate Universities and Colleges Committee must approve each of the nominees.
    The Senate panel, chaired by Sen. Alice Harden, D-Jackson, will conduct hearings with the nominees and make an official recommendation to the state Senate.
    If the candidates are confirmed they will take office this May and serve 11-year terms.
    “Gov. Barbour is very proud of the four appointees. All of them are of high caliber and integrity. And all of them bring valuable experience to the table,” said Pete Smith, the governor’s press secretary office.
    Smith said that one of Barbour’s campaign promises was that he would appoint people associated with a variety of Mississippi’s public universities.
    Barbour’s four appointees to the Board of Trustees for the Institutions of Higher Learning are:
    *Ed Blakeslee from Gulfport who is a graduate of MSU.
    *Bob Owens of Terry, a graduate of Jackson State.
    *Aubrey Patterson from Tupelo, a University of Mississippi graduate.
    *Robin Robinson of Laurel, who graduated from the University of Southern Mississippi.