England takes VP; runoffs Tuesday

Jeremy England celebrates his victory in the vice presidential race with his campaign workers.

Two of the five main Student Association races officially ended Tuesday night when Jeremy England was elected as the new vice president, while Kathryn Spencer won the treasurer’s race.
    Next Tuesday students will to vote again in runoff elections for the SA president, secretary and attorney general positions.
    England beat out his opponent Edward Sanders with almost 57 percent of the votes. Spencer ran unopposed.
    “I’m just more excited that I ever have been in my life,” England said after learning of his victory. “I’ve made a lot of promises. I’ll start making plans tomorrow and hit the ground running.”
    Sanders said he was surprised that he did not “pull it off” but was glad that a good candidate will be serving as the new VP-one who was a good friend.
    “I enjoyed running for vice president, but like Shakespeare said, ‘What’s past is prologue,'” he added.
    Meanwhile six other candidates were thrilled to hear their names announced as the candidates for next week’s runoff elections.
    Juan McCullum and Adam Telle received the two highest amounts of votes for SA president.
    “We’re going to runoff like we did in this election. We’re going to run a positive campaign,” McCullum said after getting 38 percent of the votes.
    “Students thought the past race was going to be tough,” Telle said. “Well it’s going to be an all new race. We’re going to get a good day of rest and then start again.” Telle followed his opponent with 37 percent of the votes.
    Katherine Sinele and Stefanie Thomas are slated to face off in next week’s election for SA secretary as well.
    “I feel very honored because three very qualified candidates ran, and I’m looking forward to next week’s elections and showing students how qualified I am for the job,” Sinele said after learning she has received almost 39 percent of the votes.
    Thomas, who won close to 33 percent, said she was excited to heard her name called as a contender for next week’s runoffs. “I pretty much expected a runoff, especially with three great candidates,” she added.
    The new SA attorney general is also decided next Tuesday when Jonathan Cobb and Jon David Cole face off.
    “I admit I was nervous before coming up here (to the results),” Cobb said. “But now I’m in it for the long haul. I’m going to try to get out there and get it done for anther week.”
    Cobb received 26 percent of the votes.
    Jon David Cole, with 33 percent of the vote, said, “I am completely excited.”
    Hunter Jones, the current SA attorney general, said this year’s election with four runoffs was unlike anything he could remember happening. And the voter turnout was a record as well.
    “We had 3,142 votes,” SA President Josh Blades said. “This is another full fledged election. We have the highest turnout I can remember. All candidates did a great job of campaigning.”
    Matthew Vitart ran for the attorney general’s position but was unsuccessful in his attempts. However, he did not leave with his head lowered.
    “I think all the candidates ran a very clean election. I’m proud to be a part of that,” he said.