SA officials hope tight races increase voter turnout

Executive elections for the Student Association are being held today in Colvard Union. The decision for next year’s administration resting solely in the hands of the student body.
    Hunter Jones, the SA attorney general, said last year’s executive elections had the highest voter turnout in recent memory. Around 2,600 students placed their votes last year. Jones cited the gorgeous weather as a contributing factor to the high number.
    The turnout for this election is anticipated to be higher than last year because of the larger number of candidates and the longer amount of time each one has spent campaigning, Jones added.
    “There are more competitive races, and I don’t see any reason why this election won’t reach those same numbers,” Jones said.
    Stacie Carter, the SA election commissioner, said he thought this year’s turnout could increase because of the diversity of the candidates.
    “Because you have a broad list of candidates from different aspects of life, from race to the different kind of majors they have,” Carter said. “You’re going to bring the students out to vote.” Carter also added because of the current SA administration’s catering to the student population through projects such as the night route shuttle and the academic forgiveness policy, he believed that students would be more involved and see how much the SA is helping the student body as a whole.
    “This is one of the most controversial races, but probably one of the best,” Carter said. “We have Greek, non-Greek, black and white candidates, and all are bringing in their friends with them.”
    Even though the current SA executive officers are preparing to leave office next month, they still worked to increase awareness of today’s election.
    “As far as the PR for the event, the candidates can handle that aspect,” SA President Josh Blades said. “Our work was on the front end. We handed out pamphlets on the Drill Field to publicize the election.”
    Carter said the SA spent a few hundred dollars on publicizing the election and the deadlines for applying for the race, but that amount is normal compared to the past few years.
    The SA also promoted the election with last week’s debate in The Union, Blades said.
    Another aspect the SA has worked hard to distinguish the SA from the election commission, Jones said.
    “Josh (Blades) made a big push to separate the executive branch from the election commission, so that there is no question who’s in charge of the election,” Jones said.
    Blades said the election commission has handled all aspects of the election this year. The SA has only provided the assistance that the commission requested.