Jonathan Cobb profile

Sophomore
    New Albany, Miss.
    Accounting
    Jonathan Cobb wants to create a more diverse MSU Student Association, one that is not entirely dominated by a select few Greek organizations.
    “I know there are a bunch of people who are afraid to run for an SA position, or even for an SA committee, because they feel the SA is dominated by this one certain clique,” Cobb said. “And I don’t disagree with that at all. I think it is.”
    Cobb said he believed it was the job of the SA executive officers to get the word out and ensure that the SA is encompassing all of the MSU students. He added that he believed it was a specific group of white Greek organizations that had a strong hold on the association.
    In addition to his campus activities, Cobb is also a member of Sigma Chi, one of the fraternities that he said dominated the association.
    Part of Cobb’s plan for a more diverse student government is to help “get the word out” to minority organizations across campus, in order to better inform them of opportunities to serve on the SA Cabinet and other positions.
    Cobb said he chose to run for the attorney general’s office because he believed he matched up well with the position.
    “As far as my mind, I’m kind of a legalistic mind,” Cobb said. “I enjoy reading through things and making sense of them all.”
    Even though the attorney general’s position is to interpret the SA Constitution, the officeholder can also use the position to further certain causes and projects. This year Attorney General Hunter Jones helped to create the Co-op on Campus program.
    Cobb said he would like to use his position to help, but he did not want to expand the role beyond the realm of the constitution.
    “I will stay within my grounds. But yes, if I see a specific part of the SA that I can improve, I will do my best to do that. But I will go through the proper procedure to see that it us done.”