Ro Taylor profile

Ro Taylor
    Senior
    Jackson, Miss.
    Math
    Hey Everybody,
    I’d like to tell you a little bit about myself.
    First off, I love Mississippi State. Just like every other student on this campus, I live and breathe MSU.
    Secondly, I am not a politician. I have never claimed to be, nor do I aspire to be. It is not required for the SA President to be a politician, but what is required is a deep love for MSU and a desire to make Mississippi State even better for the students.
    Finally, I represent every student. While I have been at Mississippi State, I have been involved in several different organizations, and come in contact with different people from different backgrounds. This will allow me to relate to you and your ideas to make MSU the best it can be.
    If you have any concerns, come see me on the Drill Field. I hope to see you there!

Ro Taylor said that, after a one-year break from Student Association involvement, he’s ready to take the SA helm.
    Taylor said his most ambitious goal as SA president will be to increase student involvement with the SA.
    “Right now there is-ballpark figure-about 400 people [in the SA]. That’s out of about 15,000 that are on this campus,” Taylor said. “Usually your 10 percent do 90 percent of the work and that’s about one or two percent doing 99 percent of the work. I know there are people out there that want to do it; they just may not know how they can do it.”
    Taylor said he would increase student involvement by making sure SA senators contact at least 10 constituents per week to get students’ opinions and ideas.
    Taylor said he would also try to expand the area the night route shuttle covers and increase the time it runs.
    He said he would like for the shuttle to run during the day and take students to and from campus from their apartments. He said the expanded route would alleviate on-campus parking problems.
    “Everybody’s always complaining about parking on campus. To be honest, unless we tear down some buildings in the middle of campus and build parking spaces, there’s not much we can do about it,” Taylor said.
    Taylor served on the SA Student Activities Committee in 2002-2003, but did not run for office last election season.
    He has not been involved with the SA this year. Taylor said he was taking a heavy load and had other campus obligations, but is now prepared to devote his time to the office of president.
    While Taylor said his past experience in the SA prevents him from taking an “outsider’s approach” to the office, his break will help him bring fresh ideas to the position.

Josh Foreman
    Josh Foreman, Faculty Adviser
    Josh Foreman served as the Editor-in-Chief of The Reflector from 2004 to 2005. He holds an MFA in Writing from the University of New Hampshire, and has written six books of narrative history with Ryan Starrett. [email protected]