Women’s track makes its mark

The women’s track and field team claimed first place overall in a single event and marked six Top 10 finishes at the SEC Indoor Championships this weekend in Lexington, Ky. The Lady Dawgs set four personal bests, an automatic and a provisional qualifying time, a school record and a UK Nutter Fieldhouse.
    No Lady Dawgs were available for comment, but the results are as follows:
    Lauren Johnson finished in 10th in the pentathlon; she totaled a career-best 3,555 points. Johnson completed the 60-meter hurdles in 8.83, setting a new season-best mark along with fifth-place. The next event, the high jump, she took 14th with a jump of 4-10 1/4.
    Breaking her career best from the 2003 SEC Championships, Johnson heaved the shot put and finished 11th place with a throw of 35-1. Next, she set another season high with a mark of 18-5 in the long jump to place fifth in the event. She concluded the competition with a 10th place finish in the 800-meter dash with a time of 2:29.41.
    Breaking the UK Nutter Fieldhouse record she set earlier in the season, Tiffany McWilliams won the prelims in the mile run with a time of 4:40.09. This allowed the junior to set another provisional qualifying mark.
    McWilliams competed in the 800-meter run and finished the event with a NCAA automatic qualifying time of 2:05.46; she also set a new school record. McWilliams took fifth place in the prelims with it being her first time this season to run in the event; she took sixth place overall.
    With a second-place finish, Jennifer McPherson, Nicole Dunn, Zita Magloire, and McWilliams completed in the Distance Medley Relay with a time of 11:27.54.