Quizno’s subs pique local appetites

It’s Sunday night and you and your roommate are hungry. As the two of you cruise into the Cotton District to find someplace to eat, a new restaurant greets you. Quizno’s, the nation-wide chain restaurant, is now open in Starkville.
    Quizno’s, known for oven-toasted sandwiches, also offers a selection of soups, salads and desserts. The restaurant, located at 409 University Drive, is the home of such subs as the Chicken Carbonara and the Sierra Smoked Turkey.
    The company was founded in 1981. It is one of the fastest growing franchises in the United States.
    Carving a niche in the Starkville sandwich industry won’t be easy for the newcomer, however. Quizno’s will be competing with other chains including Subway, which boasts three restaurants in the city, and local restaurants including Bulldog Deli.
    Eddie Keith, owner of the Starkville Quizno’s, is one of the many people who have recently opened a Quizno’s franchise. The restaurant’s Web site claims over 2,000 franchises in the United States, with Canada having over 100 chains.
    To Keith, the Cotton District seemed like an ideal location for the new restaurant. Although he entertained a few possible locations, University Drive proved to be the one about which he felt best.
    “We wanted to be close to the university, as well as downtown,” Keith said.
    Quizno’s also offers low-fat menu items and boasts a “peppers bar” containing assorted peppers and pickles to use as sub garnishes.
    Quizno’s brings its distinct flair to the growing field of restaurants sprouting up in the Cotton District. Keith said he doesn’t think competition will be a problem, however.
    “Quizno’s forte is toasted subs … most restaurants don’t do that,” he said.
    The new restaurant also features an outdoor patio. Patrons can take in a view of downtown Starkville while munching on a honey bacon club.
    Bulldog Deli, located just down the road from the newly opened Quizno’s, may feel some pressure from this new competition.
    Bulldog Deli manager Aaron Reece said he is not worried, however. Reece said Bulldog Deli welcomes as many places to go out and eat as possible.
    “Competition is good and I think that more restaurants just help to bring more business to Starkville as a whole,” he added.
    Reece said he thinks Bulldog Deli will maintain its regular customers.
    “(We) will continue to get our customers who already know us for providing the good food and atmosphere that they are accustomed to having,” he said.
    With new sock-inspired commercials promoting Quizno’s hitting the airwaves recently, the restaurant is creating a buzz among students.
    “The location of Quizno’s looks nice and I’m really excited to try their subs,” sophomore Becky Utz said.
    The Starkville sandwich-shop boom won’t end with Quizno’s. Both Bulldog Deli and the new restaurant will have another competitor in a new sandwich shop opening up at Coconuts in the Grove, located at the BP on University Drive.