Not too early for Christmas

At last, Christmas is in the air. Despite my aversion to cold weather, the Christmas season is my lifeboat through the darker part of the year.
    Thankfully, the feelings in my family are mutual.
    My wife, not satisfied with the brief month of December, celebrates Christmas season with vigor. Already, presents litter the base of our Christmas tree, which has been up since two days before Halloween.
    She slips a bit of Christmas into every piece of life. Nativity scenes are tucked into various corners of the house. The other day, I realized even our bed sheets are now covered with depictions of Christmas trees and snowmen.
    From place mats to paper towels, there isn’t a piece of merchandise that someone hasn’t squeezed some of Christmas into.
    And my wife is a sucker for it all.
    In my younger years, I mistakenly thought that the spirit of Christmas music could be on a single CD. I was wrong. My wife’s Christmas CD collection has grown to over 20, and she wants more. I am only now beginning to realize the quantity available.
    To add to the excitement of Christmas at the Welch home, my daughter will celebrate her first birthday on Christmas Day.
    Yes, she shares her birthday with the biggest holiday of the year, but I assure you her birthdays will be the best ever.
    On the subject of children, the accusation of parents living vicariously through theirs can never be truer than during Christmas. Without children’s looks of glee and excitement, we adults may not escape the cynicism we tend to develop over the years.
    Too often, we can see this season as one of burdens. With the long lines and maxed credit cards (and notoriously cold weather), it is easy to understand why.
    For those still struggling to find the spirit amidst the cold, deadlines and finals, one only needed to visit Colvard Union earlier this week. From candles to jewelry to woodworking, vendors were on hand to provide something for everyone imaginable.
    Well, at least for my wife they did.
    Having finished shopping for friends and family, my wife’s excursion brought home a collection of knick-knacks that will be displayed no less than four months a year.
    Such heavy Christmas spending will give a needed boost to the economy. For the first time since Sept. 11, increases in consumer confidence are no longer just hypothetical what-ifs. People are rushing to stores in much needed masses and wallets are looser than ever. Given that our economy tends to be one of self-fulfilling prophecy, forecasts for next year are looking better every day. My wife would make the economists proud.
    Religious beliefs aside, the Christmas season represents a time of giving, fellowship and beyond all else, a celebration of life and another year past. So often, everyday demands distract us from appreciating these important things.
    With barely three weeks until Christmas, it seems as if the season is ending just as it begins.
    Maybe that’s why my wife starts celebrating so early.
    Joshua Welch is a graduate student in industrial engineering. He can be reached at [email protected].