Time to rumble in Tuscaloosa

Put Mississippi State and Alabama together on a playing field or in an arena of any kind and there’s bound to be fireworks. You can almost guarantee a high level of intensity and physicality. Most could argue that it’s more of a football rivalry, but it could be argued now that it is turning into a rivalry on the hardwood. Why? Let’s go back to 1999.
    Current MSU forward, McDonald’s High School All-American and native of York, Ala., Mario Austin, was almost a lock to go to Alabama. But Mario didn’t go to Tuscaloosa. He came to Starkville, and Tide fans were not amused. The word “traitor” was thrown around and chanted at games. Alabama fans, coaches and players felt cheated–maybe so much that they decided to try to find a way to prevent Austin from playing basketball at MSU. That will probably never be proven, but one can only imagine.
    You can downplay it all you want. You can say it has no effect. Even Austin himself will more than likely say it means nothing to him. But what he says and what he actually thinks are two totally different things. How do I know this? I remember last season when State played Alabama in Starkville, and Austin, after hitting two big free throws with “boos” echoing, looked toward the Bama contingent sitting in the rafters at The Hump and pointed.
    This game means something to him and the rest of the Mississippi State basketball team. Austin had to sit out the first six games of the regular season because of an NCAA investigation into his high school records. No one knows who asked the NCAA to reopen the case. It’s no secret that people around Starkville looked toward Tuscaloosa and pointed a giant finger, but no one has or will ever have proof.
    If you want to call an Alabama native a traitor for going to school in Mississippi, then let’s turn the mirror the other direction. What about Maurice Williams of Alabama? Coming out of Murrah High School in Jackson, Williams committed and signed with Alabama. Just like Austin, the word “traitor” was used to describe Williams around Starkville and even Oxford.
    Throw in the fact that every time the Bulldogs and Crimson Tide meet on the court now, it means division and conference titles, and you’ve got yourself a good, old fashioned college basketball donnybrook.
    A large group of Bulldogs will be in attendance at Coleman Coliseum tomorrow night. The rest will have to watch on television. It will be a war, ladies and gentlemen. It will not be pretty. But one thing is for sure–it will be entertaining. So pull up a chair, grab your tickets, turn up Jack on the radio and get ready, because the rumble will be heard all across the South.
    Bay City Roller
    Bulldog tight end Donald Lee competed in the East-West Shrine Classic last weekend in San Francisco and made quite a name for himself. Lee caught four balls for 122 yards and the go-ahead touchdown for the East. On top of all that, Lee proved that he is one of the country’s best EA Sports NCAA Football 2003 players. Lee advanced to the semifinals of the tournament that featured players from the football classic before falling to eventual champion Omari Hand of Tennessee. Anyone here want a challenge?
    Spring Board
    This spring will be an exciting one for Bulldog fans. With the success of both men’s and women’s basketball teams, fans will also be able to enjoy the exploits of both men’s and women’s track teams who both rank among the best in the country.
    In addition to track, men’s tennis and women’s golf also expect strong seasons. You can also look to the baseball and softball diamonds this spring as the baseball team will start 2003 ranked in the Top 25, and the Lady Bulldog softball team is coming off a NCAA Tournament appearance last season. Track and tennis season gets underway next week, while baseball and softball do not begin until February.