Softball picked fourth

Mississippi State, coming off its second NCAA Regional appearance in three seasons, was tabbed to finish fourth in the SEC West in a poll of the 11 Southeastern Conference coaches released Tuesday afternoon by the league office.
    LSU earned five out of the 11 votes to take the overall crown, followed closely behind by Georgia with three first-place votes. Alabama, Florida and South Carolina received one vote apiece.
    In the Western Divison race, LSU tallied 58 points and eight of 11 first-place selections. Alabama received 51 points and two first-place votes after finishing second in the SEC West last season. Auburn placed third with 42 points and one first place vote, followed by Mississippi State in fourth with 30 points. Arkansas (27 points) and Mississippi (17) rounded out the SEC West standings.
    Georgia paced the Eastern Division vote tally with 47 points and seven first-place votes. South Carolina was second with 38 points and received two first-place votes. Florida finished third with 35 total points and they also earned two first-place votes. Tennessee (26) and Kentucky (14) rounded out the tally in the SEC East.
    Points for the poll were awarded on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis for the Eastern Division and on a 6-5-4-3-2-1 basis for the Western Division. Coaches were not allowed to vote for their own team.
    Mississippi State finished up the 2002 campaign with a 36-31 overall record and a 13-16 mark in conference play and joined a record six other conference squads in postseason play. The Bulldogs will open their 2003 season on Feb. 4 when the Maroon and White suit up to host Southern Mississippi in an intrastate battle at the Mississippi State Softball Field. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.